AuthorTopic: Wee human. + New avatar. UPDATE.  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Wee human. + New avatar. UPDATE.

on: September 01, 2005, 02:51:49 am

Arr, need some crits on the shirt, pants, and head. I should update this soon.. :-X

I'm really just floundering along, I want some advice.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 12:56:49 pm by Godslayer »
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Re: Wee human.

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 03:17:32 am
Hey bud, I'm liking what you have going so far, from what I can tell all the piece really needs is detailing, and by that I mean more dark colors to bring out the light colors and give it depth. I did a little 5 min edit to show you what I mean, i modified torso and legs of the left half:

Anatomy wise, I would adjust the arms, they look a little bendy, and move the spear up so it looks like he's holding it, right now it looks like it's floating behind him. The length is ok on the arms, it's just the bendyness of them that gives the wrong impression of length. Shading will fix this also. I really didn't crit the face because you didn't ask, but once you detail the rest of it, you're going to have to detail the face too, which shouldn't be a big deal. Anyway, hope that helps.

- Dog
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 05:12:52 am
hi godslayer.  start with head, i like your style of faces and i also applaud your lack of dithering.  is this by choice?

1.  colors.  wow, you have a big palette there.  see how you have quite a few hues with only a couple of variations on each?  you might get a better result by having slightly larger ramps of each hue (i find about 4 works well) and less actual difference in hues.  This will also allow you to do easier overlaps of colors where needed.  the colors of shirt and pants aren't working too well together. 

2. tone.  there are no major definitions of form with tonal variation, everything is roughly the same tone with slight detailing.   this may not be as simple as correcting what you have done, but the problem may lie in the composition/planning stage. poor can be made good, good can be made great.  i think the arms receding into the z plane should be shadowed.  hair needs work... shape and style is perfect, but looks unfinished, which it probably is.  finish it... add general highlights and seperation to give it some 3d form, looks fairly flat at the moment compared to style of face.

3. structure.  good.  its a pose.  i would have put arms in front of body with forearms coming down straighter. 

4. general.  skin won't usually highlight like that unless oiled up.  make the skin the color it would be under whatever light it is under, then shade away from that as the light is lessened in areas.  shading defines form, not highlights.

you have a great style in development godslayer, keep it up! (your faces are great)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 12:22:52 pm
Made up this pose in math class ;D Guess math is good for something.
I'm going to respond to you guys within the quotes, in bold. (Didn't want anyone to miss that)
hi godslayer. start with head, i like your style of faces and i also applaud your lack of dithering. is this by choice?

Indeed, I decided that forcing dithering into works that didn't really need it ultimately didn't improve anything.

1. colors. wow, you have a big palette there. see how you have quite a few hues with only a couple of variations on each? you might get a better result by having slightly larger ramps of each hue (i find about 4 works well) and less actual difference in hues. This will also allow you to do easier overlaps of colors where needed. the colors of shirt and pants aren't working too well together.

I'm so crap at color its not funny, you pretty much got it. Is there a place where I can find a color wheel? Anyways, what do you suggest for the shirt and pants?

2. tone. there are no major definitions of form with tonal variation, everything is roughly the same tone with slight detailing. this may not be as simple as correcting what you have done, but the problem may lie in the composition/planning stage. poor can be made good, good can be made great. i think the arms receding into the z plane should be shadowed. hair needs work... shape and style is perfect, but looks unfinished, which it probably is. finish it... add general highlights and seperation to give it some 3d form, looks fairly flat at the moment compared to style of face.

I'm having a hard time understanding how to fix this. Again, assuming that I have no idea what your talking about (even if I sometimes do) is almost always a safe bet. I should have mentioned this in the post, but this guy is a major work in progress. I posted him here in an unfinished form because I didn't really like the way he was going (apart from the face, I don't know how much I want to change that) and needed some critique and advice before it got to difficult to change him.

3. structure. good. its a pose. i would have put arms in front of body with forearms coming down straighter.

I think that instead of that, I'll place his hands on his hips, and stick the spear in thre ground. Sounds good?

4. general. skin won't usually highlight like that unless oiled up. make the skin the color it would be under whatever light it is under, then shade away from that as the light is lessened in areas. shading defines form, not highlights.

Whoah. I like that.

you have a great style in development godslayer, keep it up! (your faces are great)

Thanks, its good to have a nice long crit like this!

Also, thanks for the help dogmeat, I like the pictural (thats a word, right?) example. I'm sorry I didn't tell you from the beginning its a WIP, but then again, alot of parts that I'm not yet at shading can be helped from this.

Bye!

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Wee human. + New avatar.

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 03:27:08 am

The new avatar I whipped up in 20 minutes, decided it was worth posting.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 04:42:17 am
good for speed.  hair highlights are too random, slow them down and find some sort of connectivity between them.  Should widen up the mouth a bit.  The shading on the bottom left of jaw is inconsistent with rest of shading I think, you either need to shade more of the lower half of face to match, or take it out.  I believe you should lose that outline as well.  nice work.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 02:32:45 am
Well, here are my edits. Thank you so much, Leif and Dogmeat, the quality would be cut in half without your crits.

I'd still appreciate more critique. Also, what is the maximum avatar size?