AuthorTopic: Tileset and Trees  (Read 7655 times)

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Tileset and Trees

on: February 08, 2015, 03:15:38 pm
Hey gang,

Working ON a tileset for a freelance gig, beyond a few minor touches i'm pretty happy with the tileset itself, but the trees i've just not been feeling at all.

newest:

(shadows are very WIP)

Any suggestions with the trees in particular would be super welcome. Having them be slightly cartoony and textured at the same time is proving challenging. Colour suggestions also very welcome.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:34:38 am by AlcopopStar »

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: Tileset and Trees

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 03:26:00 pm
Looks not bad though :D
From a first glance they seem indistinguishable. They use the same colors, and have only slightly different textures while the silhouette is almost identical, plus they have a rather uncommon shape for leafy trees.
The green is the same as used for the grass which makes them blend into the environment perhaps a bit too.
You could reduce the bushy-ness and add some holes to show some twigs, or break up the even surface so you could make out how the leafs grow in clusters on individual branches

from seiken densetsu 3

Offline Iceaxe

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:48:41 pm
To me the colours and general shapes of trees are cohesive with the surroundings but given the angle that the view is looking onto the surroundings, the angle you have drawn the trees needs reassessed. The trees look like they are almost falling away from the camera. Take A Link to the Past as an example:

Although the style and shape of the trees are not the same as yours and despite the fact that Link himself is not angled well, you can noticeably see more of the tops of the trees just like you can see almost all of the patches of grass on the ground. While keeping depth of trees can be difficult, it can be done By layering segments of the trees with contrasting colours:

Just my two cents. Hope it helps! ;D

Offline (BYOND)Hebrons

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:27:36 pm
try brightening up your palette looks really dull as of right now , i like where your heading and the style your going for though :y:
An Wise Man once said Dont Start what you Cant Pixel !

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:33:59 am
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and examples!

Brightened up the pallet a touch, also tried to add some more bunching texture to the trees, may need to push this further. I also tweaked the perspective, but once again I maay have been a little timid here, not sure.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 05:15:25 am
The dirt cliff kinda reads like a chasm atm. I think this has to be brighter overall. Unless you want to go for a certain dark vibe.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 05:32:37 am
The dirt cliff kinda reads like a chasm atm. I think this has to be brighter overall. Unless you want to go for a certain dark vibe.

A two tile long shadow beneath would help it read more as a cliff wall I think..

Offline Iceaxe

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 06:05:01 am
Nice work on those improvements! I would agree saying the cliff needs a little work though :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 06:31:03 am
cant remember if ive shared this before but since it sounds like a paid job here's something similar I did a while back in case it gives u any ideas.
it goes left unused because the dev wanted to stick to the zelda perspective (and it hurt my brain the way he was abusing the tiles  :lol:)

excuse the upscale its the only copy I have on hand.
just dont read into the clusters as I never got around to polishing off at the pixel level, more due to inexperience.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 01:00:46 pm
the colors on the cliffside make it look like a hole. like a mote. you should start with a shadow and once it touches the ground move it into light, so it rolls back into view

you can see my edit on the top right. I changed the colors a bit cause the intense red was a bit hard to work with
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!