AuthorTopic: Sleepy dog  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Lucariolis

• No paint no gain
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Sleepy dog

on: January 17, 2015, 06:22:55 pm
Hey! I've been doing pixel art for about a year now for some fun and I was wondering if some critiques would be good. It's just a little sleepy dog kinda thing I did and I know a lot of improvements could be made, maybe so better rendering of the fur to make it seem more colourful and 3d and maybe critique on better shading, patterns and the folds on the sweater. I'm also trying to make the pieces I make more stylised, with maybe elongated and shortened/thinned parts if that's any help.

Any critique is gladly appreciated and I'll try to edit my word according to your critiques!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:27:55 pm by Lucariolis »

Offline Angelonias

• View Profile

Re: Sleepy dog

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:15:55 pm
I couldn't say it with words so... here it is:

Notice all the details i putted. With these shades i believe it looks more "furry". :)
Nice work by the way,  looks cute! :y:

Offline MoonKit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:20:23 pm
It looks a bit off without a nose.

Below I just added minor suggestions. A nose and a line to demonstrate a paw for its foot. I love the colors and you did well drawing the fur.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:25:54 pm
Really cute, love the palette!

The one thing that bothers me is how the arms and legs are bending, like they are made of rubber. The paws are pretty strange too.
The arm on the left looks dislocated from the shoulder.

Also, isn't this a fox?
I'd never guess that this is a dog..

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 11:46:24 pm
Very cute! :)

Left leg looks thinner than the right one, since you don't do anything with the space that's between them.

Shadows are somewhat lazily placed :-X, mostly in the sweater-- they show the volume and folds of the sweater, but don't make much sense in the context of the lighting.

Right hand doesn't seem like its making enough of a contact with the left elbow to serve as support (unless s/he is just placing her/his hand in his/her stomach)

The inner arm joint (opposite the elbow) is not defined, giving it a vibe similar to Adventure Time Extremities(tm) (which I'm not much of a fan of :lol:).
I would make a line there... in the shape of an inverted U, more or less. Hopefully you know what I mean. :blind:

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 06:25:29 pm
I second the comments about the legs, they read very strangely.

Your palette seems to be in between the "stylized washed-out" look and a piece that just plain doesn't have enough contrast. I'd either push the washed-out-ness or give it a lot more contrast.