AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015  (Read 92323 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015

Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 10:57:17 pm
I think you're misunderstanding something Helm.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #111 on: February 15, 2015, 11:07:58 pm
Everything we do is a performance, everything we believe isn't about a deep truth but is a social construct, as far as I can tell, so there's no full representation of anything to be precious about. Your mispellings are not precious, even if you take them to a therapist, they will probably cut to the chase and deal with much more overwhelming issues than 'why did I mispell this word?'. 

Tocky wants people to follow him, he wants to be a moderator, he wants to have a legacy, he wants to help people. These are concrete goals which will take a lot of performance to achieve.
yeah. all this shit i learned from you and zak and eleizer. how to be a chaos mod. you only have to act slightly outside the existing moderation. the community will cull its own ghosts.

i mean i learned this shit from you but i also took a screenwriting course and played d&d and whatever. chaos theory is hard to learn. you gotta pay attention to mystics and absurdists. humorists.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:11:20 pm by tocky »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #112 on: February 15, 2015, 11:12:49 pm
anyway, might as well move all this stuff into other threads. 'why we should listen to tocky' and 'commercial critique the maniac mansion'

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #113 on: February 15, 2015, 11:14:26 pm
Woah, lot of stuff happened since I went to sleep.

Alex, my sole point was that whoever claims a thing and especially if they claim it is something important has the burden of proof. Whether my shoelaces have impact on your life or not is not important to you and trying to prove it one way or another would be pointless. Let's leave it at that.

tocky, I am glad to see that you seem to have calmed down a bit. That is going to be a lot more productive.

About Maniac Mansion, you REALLY have to take into account that MM was not made on IBM machines first. It was made for the C64, same with Zak McKracken. On the C64 those 2 games are a massive achievement, esp at the time. A friend of mine who is active in the C64 demoscene has done some enhancements for the C64 version, such as better saving and things like that, and he had to take a close look at the engine. If we do a CC on MM it should be first and foremost the C64 version and then the other versions could be taken into account in a comparative manner. But a lot of the reasons why things are layed out as they are is because it is C64 first, other systems later.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #114 on: February 15, 2015, 11:15:20 pm
ok yeah. but the cga/cpc/ega/vga palette is better than the c64 one. i, tocky, have taught us this

tocky, or ibmocrates if yu prefer, has taught us this. color spaces not color schemes, 2015.

whats the difference between 'yes' and 'yus'? the answer: its a pun.   yes: :D yus: :hehe:

this suggests that somewhere there is a YES BIRD

A LUIGI TO YUS' MARIO

but who else can we get? waluigi, wario, toad, daisy, peach, bowser, pink toad, etc

all of these characters are canon and all of them are locked in endless combat

who will win? the pixel will always win

somebody unlock the map everything thread for me so i can talk about this shit on there. someone tell crow to fuck off for me. let me delete my own posts if its so important that all my posts should be deleted

anyway all this shit goes on my hacker resume. pacified and moderated a pixel forum. give me a new subforum to talk about code
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:32:44 pm by tocky »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #115 on: February 15, 2015, 11:27:27 pm
ptoing, you interpreted the shoelaces in a way that doesn't allow proof for you. If you saw it differently, you'd see how it relates and then you'd get the proof you asked for. Asking for the proof and then denying it when you get it is confusing- it makes me think there's some sort of preconditioning in your mind, or some pattern controlling you, so it makes it difficult for me to communicate with you.

edit: plus when you add stuff like "let's leave it at that", it makes me believe you're not even interested in what I have to say in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:29:39 pm by AlexHW »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #116 on: February 15, 2015, 11:28:46 pm
ok yeah. but the cga/cpc/ega/vga palette is better than the c64 one. i, tocky, have taught us this

Putting the VGA palette in there is a bit pointless, since it is RGB666 and not some small subset of colours.

As far as cga/cpc/ega being better than the C64 palette, I would argue that it depends what you are doing. For most intents and purposes EGA is just the full CGA palette (16 colours) since not many games used the 16 out of 64 colours thing (where you still only have 2 possible greys.)

When it comes to making interesting and subtle ranges of colour the C64 palette is imo a lot better than cga/cpc/ega.

At the end of the day this stuff comes down to personal taste as well though, so it is kinda pointless to argue whether palette a is better than palette b. The only thing we can argue about is objective values such as: How many colours total are there, how good is our value range, how well can we blend between ranges with the given colours and so on.

If you want to make a new thread about colour theory or something, go ahead, do that. Try and keep it related to pixelart. Most of the statements you made in that post past the first sentence makes little to no sense to me.

Alex: I am done talking about that kinda nonsense with you, sorry. This is not the forum for that and I don't feel in engaging in pointless arguments (you might think there is a point, I don't see it though, shoelaces do not concern me outside the fact that they keep my shoes on my feet).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:32:18 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #117 on: February 15, 2015, 11:34:14 pm
i feel like i should side with alex here because he's on my side. what do the shoelaces represent?  threads? cobblers? i nearly made a game about a cobbler once, but i never made my own shoes, not yet.

yeah, rgb666 is big. so is rgb333. depends on the restriction. if we work in 1bit rgb222 is big. we only focus on the 8-16-early32bit era - everything pre-doom, pre-rogue, pre-doomrogue, post-adventure, post-zork, post-adventurezork

there are three paradigms: text. arcade games. and doom. we only talk about arcade games here.

but any of us can do a lot with not many colors. antialiasing and dithering and cellular automata. chaos again. we shouldnt require it. we should focus on it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:41:10 pm by tocky »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #118 on: February 15, 2015, 11:35:40 pm
Alex: I am done talking about that kinda nonsense with you, sorry. This is not the forum for that and I don't feel in engaging in pointless arguments (you might think there is a point, I don't see it though, shoelaces do not concern me outside the fact that they keep my shoes on my feet).
Then shut up about it then. Be quiet for a moment and reflect on what you have done instead of regurgitating your lack of understanding. You don't have to shit all over what I say just because you don't want to talk about it. If that's the case, then moderate yourself for a change. Jeeze..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #119 on: February 15, 2015, 11:39:50 pm
Tocky actually it'd be really cool if you did a commercial critique of maniac mansion.