AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015  (Read 92351 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015

Reply #100 on: February 15, 2015, 10:07:18 pm
ok, so im sorry all you guys are not as good at puns and irony as i am. or rather, im sorry im not better at explaining myself in few wods. more words is often better.

Sure. I think you may want to reconsider polemics PLUS irony/doublespeak at the same time if you're trying to affect change as an outsider coming in a social space. You've been here a long time but you've been inactive for 4 years, hence being outside which seems to have confused you as to the response you got. People won't give you time of day if you keep telling them you're better than them and that you're trying to help them and why are they ungrateful and and and. Being flexible in how you approach people in itself gives them the message that you care about them on a basic level and that you're relatively sane (flexibility is sanity, generally), you don't have to actually attest to that, you just do it.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #101 on: February 15, 2015, 10:17:25 pm
you gotta understand that its good for me to be esoteric. its more chaotic, it puts the newbs on edge. the tocky newbs, i guess. it means that my writing is something that must be contemplated and not rushed through. also its funny, it has at least the promise of a punch line.

i want dudes to be like: hmmmm i think i git it. but do i really get it..... hmmmm

i stayed away because i wasnt treated well. i also had to wait a long enough time for peopel to forget me in order to play the heretic. tbh noone would really remember me anyway. the message is this: the young people will not learn to read but we must teach them either way
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:21:49 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #102 on: February 15, 2015, 10:24:03 pm
But you can do that in clear-ish language and form -- in fact that's what lot of philosophy and occultry is doing. Meanings are hard enough, you don't really have to work extra for it.

The way you do it is with this affected kind of internetalk, mispellings left in, sentence fragments, seeming disinterest in form with is intensely formalist in itself and which connotes well-established meanings to the internet denizen. And that meaning has nothing to do with clarity of message, it's a big 'look at me'. Not look at what I'm saying, but look at me. I can't be even bothered to format, but I've spent this amount of time very meticulously un-formatting my format. It's the equivallent of messy hairstyles that take two hours to get 'messy in the just right' way.

Which isn't a dealbreaker by itself. But then you throw in actual mania and the reaching between one sentence and another becomes waaay bigger, and the delusions of grandeur pop up, and the bursts of what looks like anger and you can totally justify whatever you write to yourself and your form completely, while the reader on the other end is getting a very different experience and they're evaluating even bothering to read what you have to say.

So if you want a following, if you want people to benefit from what you have to say, make the meanings as hard as you like, but make the format inviting to them. Can you do that? It's very difficult in itself, I'm not saying I can, but then again I don't want a following.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #103 on: February 15, 2015, 10:27:50 pm
i am a known esotericist. if you need a hacker dictionary there is always the jargon file. i will try to be more straightforward.

every mispelling is important - a small failure. why did you fail to spell the word correctly? let people wonder. i can usually think about why i spelled it wrong if i think of it as a tiny panic attack. like, writing a thing that must not be said. very cyclopean. soemtimes you have to keep teh bugs in so others can find them. this is why i dont liek to be moderated.

HOMESTUCK teaches us that spelling is voice. if we all spell things the same we lose all that. for waht? the pursuit of a neutral point of view? i prefer chaos - in pursuit of a kinder discourse
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:31:46 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #104 on: February 15, 2015, 10:31:11 pm
Your mispellings are important to you but not for many other people. That you leave them in connotes to them that your own self-analysis is more important to you than communicating with them.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #105 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:43 pm
it is at least as-important. im going to read all my own posts, noone else is - im leaving notes for future tocky

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #106 on: February 15, 2015, 10:45:23 pm
Don't be so dramatic, I read your posts, others did certainly.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #107 on: February 15, 2015, 10:48:57 pm
then congratulations, you are future-tocky.

now um... games arent just pixels. they're texts as well. the text is what makes the game work. and so i must teach all of you to write code. shiffman can teach you processing. i will teach you jokes. shiffman for basics, tocky for esoterics.

yudokowski will teach you how to be rational. read HARRY POTTER AND THE METHODS OF RATIONALITY

typos are puns. puns are jokes.

and yeah - what alex is saying below. if you can read it quickly youre speed-reading, youre not really reading. Aim to be done in 10 years time, or 10k hours, whichever is first. it's science. ask your doctor if science is right for you.

http://norvig.com/21-days.html

I SHOULD MENTION THAT WE SHOULD OFFER A PREMIUM SERVICE BUT ALSO A BASIC SERVICE
youre gonna get these fast guys in, they'll pick up some tips and power through
guys with money, they will pay for it
other guys are lifers, grognards, dwarfs. they are the best of us. bless us all
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:59:43 pm by tocky »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #108 on: February 15, 2015, 10:49:27 pm
I think tocky is talking more symbolically, Helm. The misspellings he says are important, is a symbolic gesture towards what he is communicating- which is useful for people in that it allows them to find a way to follow him. Without the misspellings, by filtering himself, it removes the texture that is a part of him, so others would not be following him per-say but rather something else that doesn't represent him wholeheartedly.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #109 on: February 15, 2015, 10:52:01 pm
Everything we do is a performance, everything we believe isn't about a deep truth but is a social construct, as far as I can tell, so there's no full representation of anything to be precious about. Your mispellings are not precious, even if you take them to a therapist, they will probably cut to the chase and deal with much more overwhelming issues than 'why did I mispell this word?'. 

Tocky wants people to follow him, he wants to be a moderator, he wants to have a legacy, he wants to help people. These are concrete goals which will take a lot of performance to achieve.