AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015  (Read 92310 times)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015

Reply #90 on: February 15, 2015, 09:34:28 pm
I RECKON ITS GOTTA BE MANIAC MANSION. i prefer loom, and monkey island, but maniac mansion, or even zak mckraken, is prototypical (never played zak mckracken tho)

im tempted to say one of YAHTZEE CROSHAWS GAMES but it is the idea of being a fedora king i want to talk about truly, still he made good games back in the adventure game studio days.

he understands that if you put a number in the title it comes first alphabetically, old shareware trick.

if we do a big brother game, we venerate big brother. worth it.

something liek dangerous dave? wolfenstein.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:37:30 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #91 on: February 15, 2015, 09:36:51 pm
What would you say about Maniac Mansion. The first thing that comes to mind is that I think it would immediately look more attractive if everything was half the size. It's flat and nice looking, but too much space and weird cluster shapes. Buy shrinking and making the world look like a toybox they'd have to come to terms with designing everything more intentfully and concisely.

re: Yahtzee, I've lost track. Is he a 'fedora king' or has he taken a social justice activism bent? I hope for the latter, he's a smart guy.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #92 on: February 15, 2015, 09:37:58 pm
yahtzee lives in my city, i'll interview him for you if you must know. i think hes still man-hat and not lady-hat but he might be neutral. neutral is more his style i think. he does need to be the only dude in the room wearing a hat. HE RUNS THE TRIVIA NIGHT AT MANA BAR. he wrote a novel also: MOG WORLD, I HAVE READ IT AND ITS KINDA PRATCHETT BUT NOT AS GOOD. THE MAIN CHARACTER IS A RINCEWIND LICH. ITS SET INSIDE WORLD OF WARCRAFT
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:40:37 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #93 on: February 15, 2015, 09:39:02 pm
Oh, there's no reason to. He wouldn't be happy to be reminded of me and my curiosity isn't personal, just a 'how do people adapt to new circumstances' musing.

More on Maniac Mansion, if you will.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #94 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:46 pm
THE BEST THING ABOUT MANIAC MANSION IS THE LOSING IS FUN DYNAMIC

they catch you, they put you in the dungeon. if you have a dude in the dungeon you can use a second dude to get tehm to escape. it's always possible to escape.

it uses a 16-color subset of the ega palette, in fact it uses the cga palette i think. both are spaces not schemes. but listen: all 16-color ega permutations are good palettes for some purpose.

because of this it is forced into making good decisions as regards color.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:44:55 pm by tocky »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #95 on: February 15, 2015, 09:47:16 pm
on yahtzee: peopel i know have known peopel who have known yahtzee. i have played his trivia night and i have played his games. people think hes a good dude, i think hes too mean and too crude for me to seriously want to hang out with him. but um, they do dev meetups at mana bar, and i should go to those, even if not to trivia night. i shouldnt avoid the ghost of yahtzee crowshaw. just im a little afraid of him i think.

anyway, if yahtzee is hastur in this town, truna is eredis. truna scares me also. i took her game history class and she doesnt remember me. she didnt even talk about my game history, she talked about her game history. but all of this is fine.

anyway, from this marriage of hastur and eredis, we get vaporwave. vaporwave is the new metal. i am fond of it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:42:32 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #96 on: February 15, 2015, 09:54:30 pm

This is beautiful to look at. I love it when adventure games of a certain vintage have stable perspective points for all rooms, AGI-era Sierra did this very well. Makes the toyworld consistent and your ordering your little dude around more tactile. It's a play paradigm versus a cinematic paradigm that infected these games later, with dynamic camera angles and less importance in terrain navigation.

exploring my idea a bit, nm

re: Yahtzee he used to scare me back in the day as well, he's good at taking up space and doing things in it, some great some not so great. I don't think this is easy to control this reflex because it *is* about control to begin with.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #97 on: February 15, 2015, 10:00:03 pm
YEAH, ITS ORTHO, ORTHO IS GOOD FOR US

ok, so im sorry all you guys are not as good at puns and irony as i am. or rather, im sorry im not better at explaining myself in few wods. more words is often better.

you can tell a lot about a person by the content of their characters.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:03:54 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #98 on: February 15, 2015, 10:01:53 pm

Not as consistent but a lot of similar calming one point in space quest 1.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #99 on: February 15, 2015, 10:03:03 pm
yeah, i never played it but same feel. kings quest, too. all of them.

um, but you can see that space has a forced perspective, it is not ortho. not exactly ortho. mansion is more-ortho because it does these long pans.

also larry loungelizards... i was too young to play it but also all of the error checking to make sure kids dont get in was trivia for a previous generation of kids that were too young.

the other thing about MANSION is it is very object-oriented.
you have a limit on how many dudes you have, a limit on how much they cn carry, and a limit on which dudes can do which actions with the things. so it's a puzzle in that way. the tentacle game is the same. but it does not let you choose yur own dudes. any-3-dudes can solve it

CGA monkey island is the best monkey island. the vga port is pretty, and the modern one is interesting. but they aint the same
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:13:44 pm by tocky »