AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015  (Read 92320 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015

Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 02:51:51 am
Three strikes is a ban.

Your words have been very far from efficient. They are cryptic and superfluous ;your message comes from connections that you have found and believe to be true, and are not absolutes.

You don't have to like me. You can not know how much I care about this community in the same way I cannot know that you do. However, your glasses are fogged if you do not see that every minute we spend making these posts could be better spent doing edits for other members in the critique forum and helping someone on their artistic journey. This is the problem you are creating; your actions are relatively benign, but the chaos you bring takes away from very real and practical time that could make huge differences in someone's path on becoming a better pixel artist.

Talk is cheap. It will probably be a while before I reply to you again. I invite you to give some mindful critique in one of the art sections. I will do the same. Consider the audience when you do so.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #41 on: February 15, 2015, 02:55:56 am
i believe you guys are listening but not enough. like 5% listening. listening only to the pixels and not the message

you can know how much i care by measuring how much i have written.

i disgree that edits are better than discussion. i did my time doing edits. discussion is faster

edits are cheap. talk is expensive. too expensive even to read, it seems like.

the ramblethread is the best thread we have so far. but we can do better than this

we should write many words about the pixel
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:58:58 am by tocky »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 02:57:31 am
on a side note, I think mods here can act a bit too serious. Banning one person for speaking their mind won't stop another person from coming and speaking their mind in the future. I don't really see any harm to what tocky is doing.
I don't see how it detracts from anyone being able to edit or critique other people's work here. If you just cut off the disturbance, how can anyone learn from it?..

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #43 on: February 15, 2015, 03:02:58 am
howd you get your two strikes alex? (as you can see, the man who comes to my defense is only a strike away from being banned himself, he must care also)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 03:05:57 am
I use to be a mod and admin here way way back before these people ran the place.. then things changed. I came back, spoke my mind and got banned. :)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #45 on: February 15, 2015, 03:10:25 am
arguing with ghosts. we are dead already.

speaking which you guys remember when ryumaru came in here from his roost in the editing subforum and told me to fuck off and act more in accord with the principles or hed try to get me banned

i tell you there is no book of principles but the one i am writing

but yeah, ryu can just sit here with his zero strike and argue with all of us as if he's god.

nobody fucking took any notice when i awarded myself a zillion bazillion points, if you remember

even ptoing and helm will tell you that my pixel art is good, but are powerless to do anything in my favor. they have to always point back to this thing, moderation, and how it relates to the pixel, i tell you it is unrelated

the pixel is not law but chaos
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:20:54 am by tocky »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #46 on: February 15, 2015, 03:21:41 am
..I just see two perspectives. Nothing right or wrong about them, except maybe their belief with the right or wrong. I can't really tell- it's interesting from my vantage point though.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #47 on: February 15, 2015, 03:43:43 am
and alex will remain neutral, which is good, someone to advocate for the neutrals, the ghosts of the neutral planet.

so: me, arachne, alex and ilkke. four people what would be better than the current moderators here. the chaos gods are still mods even if they are chaos, so we should keep those guys because we need chaos guy and not law guys.

i mean if youre looking for guys to mod here i could do you a list of names. but we dont need mods.

we have too many already~~
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:02:08 am by tocky »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #48 on: February 15, 2015, 04:21:59 am
I don't really think this is about disrespect of authority, which I do not really care for. I want people to respect the community as a whole.

tocky, so far, since you came back from your 4 year or so hiatus, you have mainly written stuff which relates to pixelart at best tangentially and what you have written is very convoluted. I can empathise where you are coming from. I have dealt with mental issues in the past, I have had depression (still have to some degree) and I had a manic episode in my late teens. What I know from that time is that I thought I had some deep insight and everything made sense and I could connect everything to everything else with ease. But looking at it with hindsight I see that was just because I was manic. It messes up with your ability to self assess.

Everything you write seems to suggest that your way is the only right way and everyone else should listen to you. You so far did not demonstrate in which way the stuff you are writing is helpful in the least. To the community, to pixel art, to whatever.

I am all for using the Socratic method to ask questions and get some dialogue going, but I have to have at least the feeling that the party I am talking to will consider things I am saying. So far you do not come across like that.

I am totally up for people giving constructive feedback about what we could improve about Pixelation (for example in the future of pixelation thread). And if there are people that are willing to help implement these things, then that is cool as well.

I am sure there are things that could be improved. Crow is working on some custom forum software which will make things a lot more streamline in terms of features that we need or don't need. But that will take some time. All this stuff takes time, esp. when people are also studying or have to make a living.

Also, Alex: You did not just "speak your mind". You thought some terminology people used was silly (hueshifting) and then went on to rant about greyshifting (where value-shifting would probably have been a better term) in other people's unrelated threads. That is why you got banned, not because you simply spoke your mind. I am glad that you are back now and I have seen you give good critiques to people and be a helpful member of the community and I highly appreciate that. But lets be honest about our shortcomings here.

You can tell me what you think my shortcomings are, or the shortcomings of the forum in general. As long as things are kept constructive and polite.

Back to tocky:

I am OK with some chaos being inserted into the mix here. But there is a certain baseline we have established. There is a very good reason why we do not have a general chit chat type subforum on here. In general all forums that have this (pretty much all I know apart from pix) will have more drama because people will talk about stupid shit and get on each others nerves, as well as inviting people who are not at all interested in what the forum is about, such as games, pixelart, what have you, and are just being asshats. Which is more or less what killed Eatpoo back in the day. There was too much chaos, established professional artists who gave great critique left because the forum became too childish and was run by non-artist friends of the owner of the board. Let's avoid things like that. Hence no blah blah forums.

You are totally free to come up with some activities that people can partake in and post them in the activity subforum. As long as they have to do with pixel-art.

You can not seriously expect to come to some place, proclaim you are some kind of master-mind, almost messianic figure, and then only write stuff that is hard to make sense of. People will look at it and think "this is nonsense" and disengage. I don't think you can fault anyone for that. Though I am sure instead you could think that we are all just too dumb to get it.

About your suggestion for mods: Both ilkke and arachne have been asked before if they want to be mods by me personally. They do not have the time and/or energy to do this. If they wanted to, they could be mods.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #49 on: February 15, 2015, 05:30:01 am
my main concern with what you said, ptoing, is that if we dont talk about this shit, the mod wins and the other guy stays mad about it forever. a mod's word is law.

you are asking me to keep proving to you that my shit is related to the pixel, i tell you that it is, this is enough. if i keep arguing with you i will write a thousand posts about what is and is not and then i will be banned.

this math, which is set theory, discrete math, graph theory, is definitely pixel math. its too programmery for some, i understand. but its still worth talking about.

crypto, definitely related to the pixel. all symbols in pixels are anonymised, but you can still see where they come from, it's painted in the pattern.

the old gods. philosophy. related. all the new mods are weak philosophers, they construct weak arguments.

the way the guys in the business forum treat artists like trash, totally related.

i believe you that you asked ilkke and arachne back in the day, but the guys we have instead of them are fucking amateurs. tey dont know how to pixel and they dont know how to mod. and tehy have the fucking temerity to tell me i am wrong.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:37:46 am by tocky »