AuthorTopic: Need some advice for beginner  (Read 2656 times)

Offline emphasized

• View Profile

Need some advice for beginner

on: January 14, 2015, 08:28:29 pm
So here is the deal , right now we are making our own space game and my task was to make a background for the map. Its on beginners level. Ill cut straight to the point. The thing is that "Asteroids" should represent the zone that is forbidden , which means you cannot move your spaceship there. But it seems like i can not make it clear enough . Any advices ? Thanks in advance

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: Need some advice for beginner

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 06:57:06 am
Hey emphasized, welcome to Pixelation  :)

First I'd point out you have a mixture of pixel art (every pixel was placed by you) and non-pixel art (your asteroids have auto anti-aliasing). While there's nothing wrong with this per se (except perhaps stylistically), my first advice to you as a beginner is to avoid this for a very long time. The reason is you want to train your ability to work with tones and control the piece as yours. You will not improve if you rely on the computer to do your work for you.

There are some basic things that this piece can use: First, use a single light source, so that the player can perceive everything uniformly. As well, it makes your piece consistent. Second, reduce your color count. It's very challenging starting out, I know, but bring it down to about 4-5 colors per object to start out. This lets you focus on the more important aspects of pixel art (pretty much any 2D art): the shapes. Finally, use a reference when drawing the asteroids. Always use references.

So, to recap:
1. Control all aspects of your piece. Don't let the computer do it for you.
2. Use a single light source.
3. Use only 4-5 colors per object.
4. Use a reference.

Looking forward to seeing your improvements.

Offline emphasized

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:28:16 am
Hey , thanks for replying . Ive been working more on that file and here how it looks now.The few more things i wand to do is to add some craters for red planet and around asteroids something like a bluish powerfield

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 10:28:40 pm
I think a good choice for achieving that effect is to use a different color of space void.

So, for example, use dark blue for either the traversable or non traversable parts. ;)