AuthorTopic: Monastic Fortress Mock-Up  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Monastic Fortress Mock-Up

on: January 31, 2015, 10:49:00 pm

Picked up this project that had been started and dropped by a previous artist.  The tiles used are mostly mine. All except for the plants (trees, bushes, and flowers). These plants I have edited with some revisions to keep them more in line with the direction I took the project as a whole.

The owner of the project is rather pleased with the assets I have provided but I am in no doubt that it can all be improved and taken to new levels.
I would really appreciate advice and general critique on anything and everything which I can improve on so I can grow with this.  Hoping to push my ability further.

Note:  I'm aware that the bricks on the curve portion of the parapet need some work.  I haven't filled their angle outward to maintain their shape.  Also no shadows on this mock-up as there has been no determination for how shadows are to be done in the game he is making.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Re: Monastic Fortress Mock-Up

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:54:51 am
one thing that sticks out is an inconsistency in styles. for example, the wood stuff has less colors and more contrast than the bricks and the grass, which makes it stand out a lot. likewise, the dirt looks strange next to the soft grass. that kind of thing.

I like the texture on the bricks a lot. imo though for the angled walls you could do something like this to better show the depth:

(obv i did it sloppy and just changed the brightness really quick but i think it shows the idea)

you said "no shadows in this mockup" but idk if this is what you mean or you meant something else. if you have other plans for that kind of thing then all good.

also this:

yours  |  mine

again super sloppy, but the way that you did the tilted brick looks awkward and unnatural. something like this would angle it in a more realistic way.

I notice the tiling in the grass texture; there's a repeating dark horizontal line. It's suble and something maybe only a perfectionist would pick up, but maybe worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:56:39 am by Wes »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Re: Monastic Fortress Mock-Up

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:16:33 pm

Thanks for the ideas Wes.  When I said I haven't applied shadows, I meant any sort of cast shadows from the angle of the light.
They are still toying with the idea of how to apply their shadows and I haven't created any for the assets.  However, the point of giving the angled portions of the building some more highlighting and shadows is a great idea.

I have done this and edited the poor stones on the parapet that were so out of whack.  I kept the shaded side a bit subtle.  Is that not enough?
Also I have addressed the tiling in the grass to give it a bit more of a randomized look.  Created with 4 grass tiles arranged randomly.

I will add shadow casting under some of the objects  and perhaps expand the building itself outward with some more features. I want to put a shingled type of roofing on the uppermost steeples.  Perhaps some sort of baked slate.  The perspective and angles may prove to be a challenge for me.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232