AuthorTopic: (WIP) Some platformer mockup.  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Kudashn

• View Profile

(WIP) Some platformer mockup.

on: January 31, 2015, 09:32:25 pm
Hi!

Trying to make some small android game. Here i want to share with you guys some small piece of mockup. I tried to make it only with colors from NES color-pallete. I am new to this, making pixels for 3 or 4 months, so some feedback, i think, would be good for me. Thanks for the attention  :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:57:06 pm by Kudashn »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Some platformer mockup.

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 02:03:37 am
The background is just too intense, tone it down, maybe with less contrast and / or choose colors that are less similar to that of the foreground characters ( which I believe is only the guy shooting? ).

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:36:36 am
If you take the brightest highlight off of all the elements of the background that are intended to be only background it will help some.  Maybe leave the shine on the robo and maybe the consoles if you can interact with them.  The platforms.
Currently your sprite is in a competition with your background and he is losing horribly.  If you leave the brightest ares for platforms you can actually stand on and function with you will see a much higher range of readability for people.
I personally like the yellow and cyan contrast, but your sprite is not contrasting with the background at all so he disappears in there.
You have given your sprite a dark bordered but filled him with a much weaker color. As a result his border is sort of washing out into the general darkness that surrounds him and his insides are being consumed by the darker colors.  He seems tiny and insignificant because of this. Toy with the idea of a different color entirely for the sprites uniform.  Magenta compliments cyan so swing that way if you are willing and he will pop out.

Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Kudashn

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:03:01 am
Thanks a lot guys, i'll try to do smth with colors as you adviced!

Hi again! I did some work today with colors, and here i want to share the result

Here is a new version.

Here is an old for comparison.

For me new version looks better, but i am a bit confused with colors of underground brown blocks. As you can see your advices helped me, so now i want to ask you for another piece of feedback. Peace!  :):):)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:40:59 am by PixelPiledriver »