AuthorTopic: UPDATE: Pterodactyl Mobile Suit Design ~ OCTO FORCE  (Read 22289 times)

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: UPDATE: Pterodactyl Mobile Suit Design ~ OCTO FORCE

Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 04:41:24 pm
I'd keep with your original head shape if you want to keep your mecha friendly looking. You have an eye of sauron vibe going on now.
You might even expand it more to make it a bit more cutesy.

Offline thoughtmachine

• Check out the SSS Indie Video Game Projects
    • View Profile
    • SSS Indie Video Game Projects

Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 05:03:33 pm
Pending any unforseen changes, this will be the last update for the front of the mecha until I finished the back. Then I will add the wings to the rear of the front and then I will do the sides, then paint all of it with a metallic finish.

I believe that you guys mean but well am not going to spend a bunch of time redoing my first mecha. I already spent 30 hours on it.

Having said that I have 7 more mechas to do.

I don't even have concepts drawings for them yet.
AlI have is their plane mode drawn each in a prototype stage
So there is a lot of room for changes and improvements.

That is where I will be willing to make severe changes.

Between now and then I am going to do a few more tutorials and follow through with a few of ideas that you guys mentioned; like practicing at a lower level of resolution with 4 colors and using blotches of color and not lines to draw with.
Check out our upcoming game:
Octo Force: The Paradigm Experiment
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/octo-force-the-paradigm-experiment/30126/
Demo available at site!

Offline thoughtmachine

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 05:05:35 pm
I'd keep with your original head shape if you want to keep your mecha friendly looking. You have an eye of sauron vibe going on now.
You might even expand it more to make it a bit more cutesy.

Actually the current head is meant for the bad guy's version.

The head that will be used by the player has not been designed.

I don't know what I will do with it.
Demo available at site!

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 05:24:33 pm
All that work and #7-Chan just gets called a girl. :[[[[[[[[[

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:26:47 pm by lachrymose »

Offline thoughtmachine

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 05:42:56 pm
All that work and #7-Chan just gets called a girl. :[[[[[[[[[

I am sorry man, it was not meant as an insult....

Its just so delicate looking.

and the black hair? Come on....

lol

I did dl your version for reference.

Are you looking for work?

Cause I do have 7 more mecha to make and the planes that coincide with them need to be updated. Plus several tanks, non-transforming robots, and many backgrounds to make.

We are willing to share profits according to each person's amount of contribution.
Its obvious that you know what you're talking about.
I mean you're drawing it for me to see.

So far there are three of us. Two other artists and myself.
I am way better at code than being an artist.
Demo available at site!

Offline LD

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 06:47:46 pm
You are being way too judgmental and you are making to many derogative assumptions about me.

I'm not an expert on this, and it's just my opinion. But you need to back off.

Realize the illegitimacy of what you are claiming.
You asked for advice, and I think people put some solid work into their responses, I was only suggesting that you try some of it, as your original piece had barely changed at all, and you dismissed a lot of it somewhat rudely. I gave you some advice, and all you did was complain about it. I really don't see the purpose of giving constructive criticism if you're going to be ignored and yelled at for doing it, so if you really want advice, I would suggest not taking so harshly to criticism, no one is trying to complain about your work or demotivate you, but it's hard to give advice without suggesting changes. I'm sorry if I offended you and started a bit of an argument, but I really didn't think my post was very offensive.

Offline thoughtmachine

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 08:01:17 pm
You asked for advice, and I think people put some solid work into their responses, I was only suggesting that you try some of it,

And I have tried some of it. and it worked.

But I'm not going to redo the entire thing because a few people don't the way it looks or they say that I should spend a few years practicing and then come back to this at a later time.

I'm sorry if I offended you and started a bit of an argument, but I really didn't think my post was very offensive.

it not what you said its what the attitude that I am supposed to blindly follow and not think for myself which piece of advice I should use and not. That's not giving advice. That is telling someone how to do X and if they choose not to they are stupid for not doing it.

In this forum people who are labeled as beginners are expected to do what they are told and if they choose not to they are labeled as 'stupid' and if they say something about that label they are labeled as an asshole as I have not been labeled because I spoke up about it.

It's clear to me now that I (as a beginner) don't have any rights here to disagree with anyone.
Demo available at site!

Offline thoughtmachine

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 08:03:33 pm
You could at least try it instead of dismissing it like you're the expert yourself..

If you don't want people to rebel against you don't act like a dictator when they choose not to listen to you.
Demo available at site!

Offline thoughtmachine

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 08:07:28 pm
Fuck it, I am done here...it's easier to learn the hard way.
Demo available at site!

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 09:55:40 pm
There are too many assumptions here.
Nowhere has it ever been implied that anyone here should blindly follow advice.
Literally no one here, or anywhere ever made perfect art, nor is anyone holding you up to that standard.
Clearly, you have every right to disagree, and you exercise it well. No one is questioning that right.
However, you came to this forum, presumably seeking advice on how to improve your piece.
In asking for critique, you are potentially accessing the experience of those who have been at this far longer than you. That makes this forum a powerful resource.
But it doesn't really make a difference if you just act defensively.

No one here would consider themselves an expert. Nor is anyone attacking you. If you choose to interpret it as such, so be it. But look at any other critique thread and see that when most people get good advice and take it to heart, and act on it, progress tends to happen.
In 5 pages, you have managed to go from this:

to this:   

After many have given good advice, and some have even taken the time to do edits, for your benefit. There is a wealth of good advice in this thread, yet you haven't met anyone halfway in effort. I thought this comment

Why did you come to this forum? So you can give advice and you have done that.

Was very telling of your sense of entitlement. People do not come here to give you advice, they come here for the love of pixels and to learn. Getting advice is a privilege, someone is taking time out of their day to show someone else how to improve their piece. Its free. You should absolutely respect people for taking the time to help you. Not only because it's polite, but because it shows you understand the time they took. If you disagree, simply say so, and go on with however you think it should be done.

But that does not mean that I am going to spend the next 5 years in a bunk job so I can appease the high standards of the self proclaimed experts and critics in this forum who (regardless of how great and perfect their art looks under a microscope) have most likely never shifted their priorities long enough to make a living with their art.

The only one proclaiming anyone an expert, or a critic, is you. Interestingly, many here make a living exclusively through their art—and they are able to do so because they prioritized their improvement over their ego.
Allow yourself to be separate from your art.

Keep doing what you've been doing, and you're going to keep getting the results you've been getting. Are you satisfied with your piece? Is it commercial grade? Then ignore what anyone has said, congrats you're done.
Are you unsatisfied with your piece? Could it be improved? Then apply what people have shown you. At the very least, try it out.

Think about this: how far can one get in art with a closed mind?