AuthorTopic: UPDATE: Pterodactyl Mobile Suit Design ~ OCTO FORCE  (Read 22288 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: UPDATE: Pterodactyl Mobile Suit Design ~ OCTO FORCE

Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 02:14:28 pm
Oh.  What a shame.   :(

For what it's worth I don't think the content of LD's reply was likely to cause offence. 

Thoughtmachine is right that there is a good ratio of time-spent vs refined-enough, that varies from artist to artist, project to project, but obviously crit is gonna be external to that.  Definitely nothing to be frustrated about. 

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 02:26:27 pm
You are free to take or leave whatever advice you were given.  But you did come asking for critique.

Speaking to the business sense of your endeavors, it is important to remember that time and efficiency are not the only aspects that apply to profit.   If the visual portion of your projects have low standards many people will expect the other aspects to have low standards as well. (Music, programming, well thought out development, etc.) Presentation is important to generating income, if that is your goal.

People are first drawn to the visuals in games and then look for more, in most cases.

It's also wise to remember that your personal interaction with other people is also a portion of your company's standards.  If you can't maintain civil and balanced communication with others you will often find yourself the target of criticisms.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 02:46:39 pm
You're not at a level where you can dismiss criticism as perfection nor are you at the same level as square enix or artists, I get that you're ego is hurt, but unless you get over it, you won't improve as an artist.

Your art is in no way good enough at the moment to satisfy the market and I'm talking indie games. You just have an unrealistic view on things, especially your own art in relation to other art.
It's not something I would blurt out if you hadn't been so stubborn and going of on a tantrum because you couldn't deal with criticism.

The reason you are getting somewhat harsh criticism is in the first place is because you're living in a bubble, you wanted feedback but you couldn't handle it.
You wrote a whole wall of post dismissing the "experts" on this forum, just so you wouldn't have to deal with the realities of it.
It might suck but your main motivation should be getting better and this is by far the best place to do it.

However, the artist who uses a laser and a microscope to ensure a high level of accuracy in his or her art is no longer an artist.

That's only your definition of art.
What about people who program graphics? 3D artists? 3D Engine and VFX artists?

Don't try to muddle the issue by talking about the definition of art, it's not relevant.

Art is art. Art is not meant to perfect. Art does not have standards. Art is not science.

A lot of people have dedicated a lot of time and effort into understanding pixel art. The ideas and concepts they have come up with are widely used within the pixel art scene.
Of course you can break those rules, but first you have to understand them and break them for of a reason.

Sure, art doesn't have any standards, not by definition..
But game graphics sure have standards, at least in the eyes of players.

I will not come here and listen to people tell me that I am wrong from not doing exactly what they believe is correct, as if they are universally recognized as Gods in the world of art.

You could at least try it instead of dismissing it like you're the expert yourself..

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 03:57:35 pm
Might be a bit to Gundam-y for you. But it might give you some thoughts on creating a more interesting silhouette.

Offline thoughtmachine

• Check out the SSS Indie Video Game Projects
    • View Profile
    • SSS Indie Video Game Projects

Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 04:00:06 pm
@Seiseki

You are one of the self righteous people I was talking about.

But I have had a change of heart in one respect, I am going to continue being the Pterodactyl and my future mechas into this post and in this forums

Moreover, if you (Seisek) or other people don't like how it turns out, oh well.

And if you (Seisek) wish to continue criticizing me because I don't do things your way then maybe you should reconsider how little influence you have over the minds of over people and whether or not you deserve their attention.

I already know better than to come to a group of critics looking for fans. that's like asking the police not to be suspicious of people they don't know or understand.

As for the other people in this forum who are objective, reasonable, and mindful of their comments, I appreciate these people.

I doubt everyone in here is self righteous.

Myself, I try not to be self righteous., but when you come to me and claim that I should blindly follow every command you summon--we aren't going to get along.

It's also wise to remember that your personal interaction with other people is also a portion of your company's standards.  If you can't maintain civil and balanced communication with others

You are right but that does not mean I have no right to defend myself and speak my mind.
If accused any company in the world is going to defend themselves and attempt to set the record straight.
Check out our upcoming game:
Octo Force: The Paradigm Experiment
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/octo-force-the-paradigm-experiment/30126/
Demo available at site!

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 04:01:28 pm
Criticism can be hard to deal with at first.
Just like anything else, it takes practice.
If you continue to walk away from it this quickly, it will continue to cause you problems.
Work on it.

For instance:
Just played your game.
It needs a lot of work.
But I don't really feel like giving you feedback.
Seeing your other reaction kills the vibe to do so.

In most cases the type of energy that you project to others, they will project right back.
But thru translation the meaning of that energy can change.
Don't mistake being positively challenged with being negatively challenged.
Thoughts about your art have been given.
And implicitly you have been challenged to improve the art and your skills.
But now you challenge Pixelation, as a whole, to the meaning of art, games, money, and success.
Why?

You do not have to walk the path alongside us.
But it is your choice to go into the forest alone.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline thoughtmachine

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 04:13:51 pm
Might be a bit to Gundam-y for you. But it might give you some thoughts on creating a more interesting silhouette.

wow that is quite nice!

It almost looks female to me.

Was that your intention?

Honestly I wanna keep a square look for the arms and legs of this mecha so it matches the plane.
I tried other shapes for the legs and it just didn't match the overall profile of the upper body.

The mecha I have planned to do next is actually a girl's mecha and I am aiming for a more shapely look.

Pending any unforseen changes, this will be the last update for the front of the mecha until I finished the back. Then I will add the wings to the rear of the front and then I will do the sides, then paint all of it with a metallic finish.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:56:46 pm by thoughtmachine »
Demo available at site!

Offline thoughtmachine

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 04:29:43 pm
Criticism can be hard to deal with at first.
Just like anything else, it takes practice.
But now you challenge Pixelation, as a whole, to the meaning of art, games, money, and success.
Why?

I wasn't challenging Pixelation. I was challenging those that think art should be perfect under a microscope.

I was challenging those that assume that I am a beginner at something based on one photo.

I was challenging those that assume that I must be ignorant because I don't do things the way they think it aught to be done.

I have no problem with criticism when it is constructive.
But when I choose not to listen and you shove it in my face simply because I chose not listen to your advise we're not going to get along.

How do you react when someone talks down to you?
Do you bend over and ask for their forgiveness Or do you tell them to back off?

I have no problem with criticism, mind you it comes in a constructive, objective, and reasonable form.
I think we can all agree on that.
That is all I asking for.

Is that unreasonable?

EDIT: I know the level in the demo looks like crap that is why I am redoing that level,  all of the planes and the first mecha.

The original pterodactlyl. used to look really bad, but that was just a concept drawing.
It was almost laughable. Perhaps it was laughable.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:35:22 pm by thoughtmachine »
Demo available at site!

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 04:30:11 pm
I had a feeling that you weren't being honest when you replied to my posts since your responses have been something like "ok thanks".. Yet you still asked for my feedback on your portfolio.
When I write criticism I'm honest and I expect to be treated the same way. If you're used to people always saying "Oh man that's awesome" You're gonna have a bad time here, because posters here are usually honest and direct.

You also said you weren't going to reply, but I figured after writing such a long and heated post, you still would.

You can paint me out to be the bad guy, but it's not gonna help you as an artist, even if it feels good emotionally..

If you could point of where you felt that I was talking down to you or insulted you, I could fix the way I give criticism..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:39:34 pm by Seiseki »

Offline thoughtmachine

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 04:38:13 pm
I had a feeling that you weren't being honest when you replied to my posts since your responses

How can I be honest?

I am tired of being polite and saying "you know, I don't agree with you on that, I am going to try something different. only to read their next response where they insult me and belittle me as if I don't have the right to say 'noi'.

And look... look at our conversation.

This is reaffirming my belief about why I lie and say "Okay thanx, I'll try that." when I disagree.

Because if I say anything else I am accused of being the asshole.
Like I don't have the right to say no
Like I don't have the right to disagree.

If you're used to people always saying "Oh man that's awesome"

Nope.

In fact, it's not worth counting the number of positive remarks that I have had in this forum.

But you know, in game jolt the game has a 78% rating.
Of course that was from only one person.

I know it needs work and improvement
I am quite objective.
That is why I am here.

But if I choose not to listen don't take offense to it.

Or I am going to leave and not come back.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:48:29 pm by thoughtmachine »
Demo available at site!