AuthorTopic: Master Keyblade  (Read 2373 times)

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Master Keyblade

on: January 28, 2015, 08:54:21 am
I tired mixing up Kingdom Hearts and Zelda. The feet are slightly bigger for the Kingdom Hearts style. Starting to notice some spots that can be tidied up a little, and I think the left foot needs some work. I'm going to have a play with the colors a little later, such as turning the saturation down a little. I ended up making the material hang in pretty sharp folds, though it might be better if it were more loose. I'm not so good at that, though. Keen to hear thoughts on other bits that can be improved. Thanks :)

Offline Janeator

• View Profile

Re: Master Keyblade

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:11:54 am
I like it a lot!
I think the sharp folds are pretty cool! The colour palette is good for me, except maybe for the purple/blue keyblade handle (I don't think those two colours look good as light/shadow here).

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:54:36 pm
Cool work dude  :y:

Some things I notice at first glance:

Blonde hair doesn't need a black outline IMO especially inside the sprite and even more especially in the highlighted yellow areas. You could use your existing varying shades brown etc. or something instead to balance out the contrast.

Seems like he's leaning back a bit making him unbalanced. Maybe bring the whole top section from the knees and pelvis forward, and adjust the bottom of legs to compensate. This should allow his torso to still lean back but balance him so he doesn't fall backwards.

The feet seem a bit TOO big, almost hobbit-like, in that no other body parts match their proportion.
I'd say reducing the foot size is the easiest solution, otherwise u gotta make head and hands etc. bigger and I don't think he'll look as good that way.

Feels to me like shield could come down and right a bit to balance and space out the composition a bit.
Feels a bit cramped where it is.

Something abourt the face seems like its too washed out. Since its typically the primary focal point, you could use higher saturation and contrast here.
PERHAPS there's a way to combine 2 different shades to give a similar overall appearance but with much more vibrancy and priority. I don't know how this works but I'd be really interested to find out...something like how 2 or 3 contrasting colours of varying saturations can be clustered against each other to give the appearance of balancing out to a chosen colour...perhaps paint mixing and print colour mixing theory applies here  ???

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 02:29:01 am
my edit -->  
original -->

Gotta say, this is a cool idea dude. So, for fun, I thought I would have a go at it and fix some of the issues pointed out by Decroded and try a few other things to see how they looked. FYI, I didn't add any colors -- I just re-purposed some of the ones you already had.

One thing I did need to mention is that the anatomy was pretty badly off, so I only fixed it somewhat. I also decreased the shininess of the tunic. Unless it was made out of metal (like the shield), it wouldn't have *that* much sheen. I did, consequently, add some sheen to the shield (didn't really need it, but I figured I'd play around).

@Decroded:
I tweaked the face and hair colors to respond to your vibrant comment to show you that it is indeed possible to get this look. The main issue was the hair had too much color intensity and the face was, like you pointed out, too desaturated. Saturated colors draw the eye regardless of their intensity, so I simply saturated the colors in the face more compared to that of the hair, and I lowered the hair's intensity to compensate.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:41:11 am by astraldata »
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/