AuthorTopic: New Guy Here  (Read 4220 times)

Offline rappdg

• View Profile

New Guy Here

on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:31 am
Hi there,

I am not that new to pixel art (although my skill would tell otherwise) and I have been drawing some stuff for an indie game for about 3 months now. I have always been a lurker and a fan of a lot of works that are showcased here. I can honestly say that my skills are noobish (although I'm already 28) but I intend to change that by means of all of your help :D.

I am not sure how I can improve this. The base is not mine but the hair and coat is. I also kinda cheated in anti aliasing by drawing semi transparent pixels in some of the jaggies. I know I need more contrast and learn color theory but I'm really not sure how I can do that. Please help me haha.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: New Guy Here

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:29 am
if ur going to attempt changes, save ur work at various stages to show ur progess.
feel free to post here at any point for adv ice on how to proceed.

csuggestions...
too heavy on AA
i dunno what others think but i say remove all external AA and just live with the black outline.
if u look at my post history from earlier today you'll see m e comparing with light-sourced outlines, but really this is something id advise to try much later on once all your colours are in place.

colours...there isnt enough.
ur sprite's saturation is too low which means its too grey.
u need at least some parts to be higher saturation.
warmer colours help your sprite stand out against backgrounds e.g. a red scarf is highly visible against green grass and grey bricks.

now avoid clicking and clicking at 500% zoom and adding all that single pixel noise and texture, it doesnt do u any favours.
instead have a zoomed view and a zoomed out view such as 200 or 300% depending on ur monitor.

i say fill each part with a solid colour.
now remove all internal black outlines and leave them only on the outside.
just use the contrast of 2 colours against each other to make the outline between parts.

now pick a light source (i suggest top left) and block in the shadow with a darker version of each colour.
once youve done this ur ready to start cleaning up and adding pixel level detail.
i suggest posting ur process and ur progress at this point, especially if u feel like its starting to go to shit or ur just stuck or whatever.
dw its alot to take in at once :P

Offline rappdg

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:22:11 am
Wow so much advise in one post, I sincerely thank you for that but before I try to apply those tips I have a few questions:

• What tones should I increase the saturation, are those the mid tones and highlights?
  • The game has a top front light source, did you find anything wrong with the shading knowing that (but I will try the top front light source definitely)?
  • What are you referring to when removing single pixels? Should I remove those that are for internal anti aliasing?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:58:35 am
  • What tones should I increase the saturation, are those the mid tones and highlights?
  • The game has a top front light source, did you find anything wrong with the shading knowing that (but I will try the top front light source definitely)?
  • What are you referring to when removing single pixels? Should I remove those that are for internal anti aliasing?

1) I mean your character design needs at least some parts costume or his hair is solid colours that help him stand out. I'm sure they're out there but its generally pretty rare to see a character that is ALL grey.

2) With light source you describe, yes there is the issue that the shoulders should be brighter than the rest of coat, top of head should be brighter etc. Top front is great so keep it like that. In addition, offsetting left or right is optional but gives you more to work with to describe the forms.
Here's something done recently in a similar perspective, refer to the frame without the moss on him just to get an idea of the lighting I'm talking about:

3) Yes I think you should remove all sorts of black outlines and single pixel details and anti-aliasing INSIDE the sprite. Work with solid colours that are shaded stronger to light source. Then consider adding SOME outlines back in where you need them, many times you don't. Basically it looks like you're trying to fill the shapes with details when you should be more concerned with rendering at this point.

Offline rappdg

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:29:16 am
Here is an update and obviously, I can't execute what you suggested. Any tips? Don't know why it became that way
(Just focus on the front view coat since that's where I focused)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:56 am
Some unfinished thoughts.
Didn't mess with the colors.
Altho he could benefit from that.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline rappdg

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 01:18:18 pm
Thanks for the edit but unfortunately, I can't do it like that since I have to retain the black outline (Style in game).

I tried again and I think I messed up the hair (front view) and back view :(

Edit:

I'm really missing something here...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:18:16 pm by rappdg »

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 11:13:47 am

From left to right: original - colour edit - further messing about.

Mostly tried to mess with the colours. The ones I used may be too dark for the context, but then we don't know what backgrounds this will appear on. Could you give us some examples of backgrounds?

My edit is far from perfect though, with the coat being messed up, the coat having a tangent that makes it look odd and the hair not shaded right, but the sprite is more readable (at least for me).

Also, if the black outlines are important for the style, why are parts of the arm and coat outlines coloured?
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline rappdg

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:48 am

From left to right: original - colour edit - further messing about.

Mostly tried to mess with the colours. The ones I used may be too dark for the context, but then we don't know what backgrounds this will appear on. Could you give us some examples of backgrounds?

My edit is far from perfect though, with the coat being messed up, the coat having a tangent that makes it look odd and the hair not shaded right, but the sprite is more readable (at least for me).

Also, if the black outlines are important for the style, why are parts of the arm and coat outlines coloured?

I love what you did with the hair but the only problem is the hair should be light. How can I make it readable and light at the same time? I'm also not sure with the coat but it is more readable but looks pillowy? But you're color choices are awesome but I need it to be lighter and readable.

The outer outlines need to stay black but the internal outlines I'm free on what color to choose. Thank you for the edits and I will take these tips to heart.

Updated the back view coat and side view hair. Am I shading these the wrong way?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:08:43 am by PixelPiledriver »