AuthorTopic: [c+c] example pixel  (Read 2365 times)

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

[c+c] example pixel

on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:43 pm

i made this so i could show the difference between pixel art and oekaki on a forumbut now that i look at it, the stranger it gets
to be clear this isnt how i want to pixel art but a lot of people on that forum like hypercute and 'sugoi kawaii desu uguu' things so i had to make it like this
im asking if the anti-aliasing (that is what its called...........right) looks okay and what i should fix. the chin/jaw area under his mouth is strange but i cant seem to fix it without the lines exceeding 1px width and i now realise i'll have to fix the top part of the hair.
i think its ok for my first anti-aliasing attempt??

character (sasha) belongs to semi

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Re: [c+c] example pixel

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:23:33 am
Hey computer trash, cute character there, i like the hair.

I think you could focus less on AA for the time being and more line placement.

To be honest I still think this is some what in the oekaki area. As someone who walks that line myself I think the main difference between it and pixel art is control and intention. Is every pixel considered? a lot of your shapes seem wonky and a little flippant. I would work on paying attention to that before anything else.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:58:51 am
Take a look at this work by Kenneth Fejer for some very considerate pixel placement while still having a minimalist cel shaded style:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/8327.htm

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:58:27 pm
Hey! I like super-cute-kawaii-sugoi-desu! :lol:

The AA looks excessive to me, to the point where it kind of looks like banding :blind:

Remember the purpose of AA: to give the impression of a bigger color depth, where it needs to.
Right now, it's used liberally in every line, so it just gives a sense of muddiness to it.
It's usually reserved to soften edges, where there would be no space to actually redraw the line for it to be softer...
I'm no expert on AA, of course. Just my two cents. ;)

And just so we're clear, this is an example of actual pixelart and not oekaki (right?)
Since you took care that the lines were always 1px wide and then AA'd the hell out of it :lol: