AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] SSB4 Megaman Fire  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

[WIP] [C+C] SSB4 Megaman Fire

on: January 12, 2015, 12:30:05 am

This is my first attempt to pixel fire like this, especially a fire so large, dynamic, and freeform. So naturally I'm having struggles with it. I've probably restarted this three or four times already and can't even get to a point where I feel like I'm starting on the right foot. Does anyone have any tips for pixelling fire like this?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:31:57 am by Chrispy »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: [WIP] [C+C] SSB4 Megaman Fire

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:30:27 pm
This is very late advice, but I would consider using more hi-def images as reference.

The initial Megaman pic is very cool and inspiring, but too low-res to actually serve as good ref for pixelling in detail. :yell:

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:49:51 pm
I appreciate the input, better late than never! I actually took those pictures myself using my 3DS, that's actually the native resolution for it. I would've used the Wii U version for reference but I don't actually own a wii u.
I have actually since stopped working on this. Here is the final version

If anyone has any criticism though I'd be willing to pick it back up for the sake of learning it.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:18:56 pm
Nice! :)

As for the critique:

Having such a strong light source enveloping Megaman should greatly affect the overall hue that he's reflecting.
In other words, he should have a red/orange hue to him, so that he doesn't look disconnected from all the fire.
This is especially problematic in the colder hues, like blue (ironically his main color :lol:).

The fire pillars look nice. But, there are parts of them that still don't look right to me, like the couple of jagged/crooked crab-like extensions they have.
I don't know what to do with those... maybe use a fadeout or something? Fire is hard. :blind:

I see you heavily referenced the SSB4 image, which doesn't seem to really take into account the strong lighting that emanates from the two pillars of fire.
(and this is okay, since it would probably be very costly to render all the lighting changes in the player model accurately while in-game, like with the hue problem I mentioned before)

Where I'm going with this is that I would put the shadows in front of the character ("dramatic"/accurate lighting), while right now he somehow has a strong light that hits the front of him (I guess that way we can clearly see his face as well, but still feels inaccurate).

Hope this helps ;)