AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] Pixel Pirate in Bits of Eight  (Read 46687 times)

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Re: [WIP] [C+C] Pixel Pirate in Bits of Eight

Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 09:13:02 am
needed some frames from all angles so put into a handy diagram showing how Pete changes as he loses health.

twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: April 26, 2015, 03:53:19 pm
I'm always impressed by smooth pixel 3D rotations for some reason. I think the difference between 1 and 2 hearts is too subtle, it wont be clear from all angles and if there is action going on. I would recommend he loose the jacket at 1 heart as well. Otherwise loving this, though I guess I'm still not a huge fan of the gray outfit.

Do you have a TIG devlog going too?

You are developing in Unity correct? It looks like they just released an alpha build of their new 2D tools, including a tile map editor.

Last. For the anchor swing, perhaps have him carry it around on his shoulder and then swing it down from there. I think that would look a lot better and would provide a more unique animation too, so he kind of bends down to slam it down.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: April 26, 2015, 04:41:21 pm
The hat feather changes sides during the rotation :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: April 26, 2015, 11:41:40 pm
+1 lose the jacket or something on 1 heart.

the project is great and I love the music but I thought it didn't seem very piratey. perhaps needs at least one straight-up swashbuckling tune played at the start.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #74 on: April 27, 2015, 03:57:58 am
Thanks all for the feedback, the game is built using Unity + 2dtoolkit for all the tilemaps etc.

Running a TIG devlog here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=46419.0

Will think about how to do 1 heart status, originally had him shirtless like Arthur from G&G but looked a bit odd...

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: April 27, 2015, 04:27:38 am
i'm curious how well unity 2d handles the pixel upscaling these days?
r u having trouble with it or is it pretty good now at upscale with no blur/artifacts?

u could just give him a pirate shirt if shirtless is too much - http://www.asia.ru/upload_images/143/142448/1587105.jpg
does he ever use a sword?
also can we sail/explore around the ocean?

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #76 on: April 27, 2015, 11:58:44 am
i'm curious how well unity 2d handles the pixel upscaling these days?
r u having trouble with it or is it pretty good now at upscale with no blur/artifacts?

Unity has been able to do sprites since 4.3 and point filtering since forever, so it's been handling 2d quite well for about 1.5 years now. You should check it out ;)

The tech demo won't feature swords but will feature ships. The early access may feature swords  :y:

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: April 27, 2015, 03:59:51 pm
If i understand well.. you're using unity and make some objects with illustrator / cinema 4d to make animation for complex objects ?
I'm just lost about how you make all  sprites for the complete animation : do you print the screen for each frame as guide to draws each frame ?

i'm using unity too and photoshop for animation, and this method could save me lot of time ^^ like make coin spin around

Graphism are really good, it's just a shame you only use few colors.. inn for exemple could really smash our head with more than 4 colours (just my opinion  ;D )

btw i'm a fan of this project  ;D

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #78 on: April 28, 2015, 02:39:29 am
from what I've seen only some objects like logo and anchor r done using those tools where as most of the items and sprites r raw pixel art.
I could be wrong though.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #79 on: April 28, 2015, 12:39:16 pm
from what I've seen only some objects like logo and anchor r done using those tools where as most of the items and sprites r raw pixel art.
I could be wrong though.

Ah actually the logo is all freehand... well, with the help of illustrator, did a write up of how on the TIG thread if interested.

If i understand well.. you're using unity and make some objects with illustrator / cinema 4d to make animation for complex objects ?
I'm just lost about how you make all  sprites for the complete animation : do you print the screen for each frame as guide to draws each frame ?

i'm using unity too and photoshop for animation, and this method could save me lot of time ^^ like make coin spin around

Graphism are really good, it's just a shame you only use few colors.. inn for exemple could really smash our head with more than 4 colours (just my opinion  ;D )

btw i'm a fan of this project  ;D

Thanks!

For the frames, it depends on the 3D software (photoshop can also do it!) but in my case, I just selected the frame and made Cinema4D render that to a PNG without transparency. Then I put each frame into photoshop, cropped an area for the character and animated.