AuthorTopic: Frog Temple Platformer  (Read 3469 times)

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Frog Temple Platformer

on: January 23, 2015, 07:11:48 pm
Hey guys. Here's a work in progress for a game. I've been asked to use dark outlines in the style and to give it a bit of a cartoony look. I'm hoping to underlight the platforms with light from the lava at the bottoms, though this is proving to be pretty tricky. Would like some thoughts on color, especially with the lava, which is still rough, but I'd like to try to get the color on that right before trying to animate it. I'll upload progress, but any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

And here's the character animated.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:53:14 am by JoeCreates »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Frog Temple Platformer

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:52:37 am
Very appealing style, I like it :)

Rough idea on the underlight. I dunno..

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:00:50 am
Very appealing style, I like it :)

Rough idea on the underlight. I dunno..

Nice edit, thanks!

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:21:31 am
I'm not sure if the primary light source is supposed to be the lava or the shafts of light from above, but in either case the shadows cast by the platforms onto the wall are in a totally wrong place. The platforms and their shadows seem to suggest that the light source is somewhere to the left of the viewer, but nothing else does. Maybe I'm over analyzing (given the cartoony style)... but that's the only thing that stands out to me. Looks really cool.  :y:
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 03:44:55 am
I'm not sure if the primary light source is supposed to be the lava or the shafts of light from above, but in either case the shadows cast by the platforms onto the wall are in a totally wrong place. The platforms and their shadows seem to suggest that the light source is somewhere to the left of the viewer, but nothing else does. Maybe I'm over analyzing (given the cartoony style)... but that's the only thing that stands out to me. Looks really cool.  :y:

Yeah, you're right. I'll try flipping the beams above. Thanks. :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 08:53:00 am
Really great style here.
Instant appeal  :y:

In response to ur questions...
just an idea, have u considered the lava is flowing into the temple rather than just sitting there?
It's both logical as to why the place hasn't melted as well as an opportunity to make some exciting animation that would add to the sense of danger and urgency.
for example the lava could be splashing against the platforms.
You could even make it a gameplay element that there are sometimes larger waves of lava u must get over.

In terms of lighting..it's an option to go darker further down the screen so the underlight from lava stands out.
Some more structural details and things like statues etched into the stone would help reinforce the effect.
No harm in considering a third light source for ambient back lighting either.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:01:51 pm
It's lava. I feel like it should look way darker and harsher. I might be wrong. Quick test of where I'd take it:

In terms of lighting..it's an option to go darker further down the screen so the underlight from lava stands out.

I overlayed my edit, just on the bottom, to try it out:

Original:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:09:21 pm by Gil »

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 05:51:34 pm
I really like your style. In addtion to the suggestions (Gil's edit look the best), I looked at your frog animation because it looked like his hand was going through the hat.
I fixed that and added an anticipation frame before he jumps.