AuthorTopic: Let's make a troll  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Noksta

• View Profile

Let's make a troll

on: January 23, 2015, 05:13:20 pm
Hello everyone, i'm new here and i'm really new to the world of pixel art too. After reading some stuff i decided to make my on try with this :

I spent a lot of time on this but i'm not really happy of what i've done, can you give me some advices to improve my skills please ?

Thx !  ;D

(ps : sorry my english is not perfect)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:08:49 pm by Noksta »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Let's make a troll

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 10:37:56 pm
For a start try to draw on smaller resolution, it will help you to better control the pixels. This is a big resolution to handle for new pixel artist and it's borderline with pencil drawing cause you didn't place and position all pixels intentionally. Try to redraw same character on 2x or 3x smaller canvas.

Offline Noksta

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 02:37:01 pm
thx for you answer.

I did something smaller :

I worked on my lineart and i read stuff on the web.

What do you think ?

thx for advices

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 03:51:59 pm
You need to go even smaller, this is still too big for beginner.

Here's the quick edit at 50% of your size. You should work on gray background cause white can influence color perception.

Offline Noksta

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 08:59:04 am
Ok i see, but the thing is that i intend to use this image to create a kind of character sheet so it cant be too small  ::)
Thank you for the advices and quick edit i really appreciate !

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 12:47:39 pm
Basic size influence look and level of details. You can easily resize it later without problems. My edit is at 50%, after image is done I can export it at 100% and it would be the same size as yours and it would have better pixel art look. Don't think about final size, it can be easily achieved. Concentrate more on work.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 02:36:09 am
Hello Friend of Trolls

I came to show appreciaten for your concepts, I really like them and see potential!

As said above, to attempt big sprites as a starter at pixelart is kind of tricky and troublesome to get things looking alright! The very most important thing is the concept and to imagine as many details as possible so your image doesn't look that blank (depends if you prefer a more comic look with less details or one style that has more physical rules applied to it)

Now to the trolling-around:

I will still showcase on what you could do with your rather big sprites, since it is still useful for portaits or closeup things! (I really suggest not to make spritesheets this big, as it is very very time-consuming (I'm one to talk))

What I did here in the first step was sketching out the rough idea I saw in your concepts combined with my knowledge of anatomy and perspective and some lighting-enhancement through thicker defined/sketched areas that imply shadows.

I then blocked out basic colors behind the lineart, and selected the lineart itself to change its color according to the bodyparts so the outline isnt just black and merges with the object itself! Everything from that point onward is detail and polishing (application of various pixelart techniques such as AA/Dithering and whatsoever) until you are satisfied with your result!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:37:57 am by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Noksta

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:40:13 am
Awesome !  :y:

thank you for the advices it's very encouraging for the future  ;D

And i as you said it's "very very time-consuming" i'll need more coffee...

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:54:04 pm
If it's just about a pixelated look and for a game, you can save time by doing tricky things like these though, Indigo made a nice tutorial for Index Painting (incase you have a tablet) never used it before though, its just preference

http://danfessler.com/blog/hd-index-painting-in-photoshop
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:56:22 pm by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299