AuthorTopic: four sprites  (Read 12620 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: four sprites

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 12:38:42 pm
Made an intimidate anim and tried some subpixelling for an idle anim. Feedback/suggestions would be cool :)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 12:55:29 pm
animations look nice and fluid.

couple of things though that caught my attention

the big guy looks like he is wiping sweat from his chin. i think this is because the cutthroat movement he does is in his wrist instead from his whole arm. maybe also try using fewer frames for that to give it a faster and more threatening  feel. currently it transitions too smooth from the cutthroat to the chestbump. a bit more impact would spice it up i feel.
Also his lower body doesn't move at all. especially with the chestbump you'd expect some movement in the hips as well.

The girl legs are stretching when inhaling, this feels unnatural. try instead to only move her upper torso. fill it with air so her chest bends outward a bit.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 01:50:08 pm
His left (normal) arm looks like it's made out of rubber. Like on old sailor Popeye cartoons. Also I think that he is going to far with slice gesture, his knuckles are going past his ear which looks strange. Movement of his head, other arm and chest bump is great, maybe there should be two fast bumps, it will look more threatening.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 09:18:21 pm
Thanks for the feedback both! Very nice :)

I tried to incorporate the things pointed out. I'd rather keep the slow drag of the finger since I'd like it to look over the top and cheesy.

Better?

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 09:56:47 pm
Something still seemed odd about that girl. When looked at her more closely ( :D ) i've seen there's a lot of noise going on. it's not too visual in 1:1 scale so that's probably fine, but it seems overly subpixeled to me.
Furthermore it seems like wave going through the whole, offsetting pixels seemingly at random.

Also i tried to give her a bit more inhaling motion:

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 10:52:52 pm
Maybe let his finger stay there a bit more after the drag.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 12:47:55 am
intimidate is great idea.
i don't think head rotate is appropriate.
more like he should life his chin to expose his throat while maintaining intimidating gaze directly at opponent.
then perhaps slow down that animation a little bit and as mentioned pause at the end for effect.
during the throat slit I dont think the metal arm should extend/move much, just to make it clearer what is going on.
u effectively have 2 actions here so they should be treated with separation.
I personally think it would look clearer if his hand didnt rotate so much too, resembling more of a solid knife object either by running the back of the thumb or a stiff finger across the throat

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 02:04:43 am
Haha, this animation is so cool.
Okay I went in and edited it, and then I read Decroded's comment after; I had the same ideas.

I also played with the timing a little. After the slit gesture I wanted a pause to imply direct eye contact, since that can't be fully achieved in pixels. Also tweaked his jaw in the anim, maintaining the alternating colors.
I really like that chest pound, it's so aggressive.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 01:34:04 pm
Here's my edit. It's not polished but idea is there. :)

Edit: or this, first he is calling the opponent near and threatens that he will slit his throat.  :)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:44:29 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 11:24:41 am
Thanks for the helpful crits all :)

wzl:
Good thinking, new version:

Nirel, Decroded, Joe & HarveyDentMustDie:
Good points, here's another go with less head rotation and tweaked timing:

I want to keep the impression of eye contact too so I'll try another version with the raised chin Harvey and Decroded suggest. The double chest bump is charming but feels like it diminishes the testosterone overload situation he's got going there. With one bump, he's all tensed up and insane-looking. With two, he's more like a primate marking territory. Also a good fit, but not quite what I'm going for.