AuthorTopic: four sprites  (Read 12563 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

four sprites

on: January 23, 2015, 12:36:03 am
Hello community!

I'm trying to achieve a stylized, comic book-like look with large-ish heads, 6-head count for regular build (last two characters), and need some feedback on how that worked out. The first one is an old sprite I re-worked but the others are fresh. What I'm worried about first and foremost is if the proportions look okay, but all feedback and crits are welcome :)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: four sprites

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:53:35 pm
First I like the colors, same colors make characters look cohesive. :)

Second, I presume that this is still WIP. Here are some of my suggestions, there's more room for improvement but I hope this will be helpful. Also try to reuse colors more, for example from your pants on the skin and vice verse.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 09:28:07 pm
Cool! That's a fine edit with much to like :) Looking at it I realize I might get a bit too hung up on pixel technique and maybe hurting structure in the process?

I think the touches you did on the muscles, and the big dude's pants, boots and metal jaw are especially nice. The legs got more volume now. I'll be back with an update soon-ish.

EDIT:
Here we go. I incorporated some suggestions from PJ as well. Been cross-posting and stuff.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:12:07 pm by ErekT »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:38:37 am
cool sprites dude  i rly like it :y:

dunno if this is the direction u want but just wanted to make the big guy look more staunch/steroidy.

poses on the other sprites could loosen up a touch too but its not that big a deal really.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:41:38 am by Decroded »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 02:58:19 pm
Hehe, sweet :) Very nice touch with the backlit pants and fatless roid-muscle. I do want to keep his lumbering physique tho so I'll preserve that I think. Here's another update:

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:53:31 pm
I do want to keep his lumbering physique tho so I'll preserve that I think.
Yeah I thought you might.
He looks cool, more of a throwback vibe :y:
And now his arm looks a bit more separated from his body in a good way.

That one missing pixel under corner of scientists right foot is odd compared to the other sprites.
It seems like if there was a perspective like that then that right foot would also be 1 pixel lower than the other foot, and would need to be applied across all sprites.
Either perspective looks good but I think you gotta choose one or the other, depending on what perspective you want on the ground tiles.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 10:02:17 pm

That one missing pixel under corner of scientists right foot is odd compared to the other sprites.

Is that not the edge of his pants leg, not an indentation in his foot?
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 02:08:52 pm
It seems like if there was a perspective like that then that right foot would also be 1 pixel lower than the other foot, and would need to be applied across all sprites.
Either perspective looks good but I think you gotta choose one or the other, depending on what perspective you want on the ground tiles.

Yeah, it's the edge of the pants like PsylentKnight said. Buuut, since it's ambiguous I've added an extra pixel. The perspective is orthographic with some pseudo-perspective if I need it and can get it to look right. Here's an example:

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 10:15:43 pm
i feel a bit dopey for not seeing that for what it was but it just looked a bit off to me so def think its better now.

mockup looks kick-ass  :y:
good hue variation around the light on the wall :-)

it shows good restraint to suddenly drop from dark blue to black like that.
i probably wouldn't have been able to help myself continue to gradient :yell:

hoping there's more to see later :-)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 11:14:42 pm
mockup looks kick-ass  :y:
good hue variation around the light on the wall :-)
Thanks, that makes me happy :)

i probably wouldn't have been able to help myself continue to gradient :yell:
Mm yep, I have to admit I had the exact same thing happen with the wall there in the back. Colors are too close-together but I couldn't help myself :-[

Working on some animations for the sprites atm that I'll be posting later for crits.