AuthorTopic: [C+C] miscellaneous pixel practices  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

[C+C] miscellaneous pixel practices

on: January 18, 2015, 07:52:05 pm
I suppose a general thread for me to post my pixels for critique is allowed, it doesn't seem to be against any rules.  I've recently tried to use my personal art time to push more pixels out and build a little pixel portfolio for myself so I can get started doing some freelance work, so I'll be dumping whatever I come up with in this thread for you all to critique the hell out of!

A few character pixels from yesterday.  Tried something a little bigger than what I usually work at and they turned out better than I was expecting!  I have no plans on animating them any time soon, I've never properly animated anything.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] miscellaneous pixel practices

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:44:17 pm
Hey! So weird, I was going to post a similar topic for the same reason... I'd like to build a portfolio too. I'm sure we can critique/keep each other motivated, yea?

Onto your sprites. I like your colors, character designs. In general at this point I think the biggest improvements could be gotten from 1) eliminating unnecessary banding and 2) enhancing the focus/readability of each sprite. For example, here is an edit to your steam knight:

His thumb was not readable. I fixed all the banding I could find, and cleaned up the shield some. Too many accessory details detract from the sprite as a whole. I separated the shield from its body with darker tones, as well as his chest/left arm.

The green character is slightly over-AA'ed, and the other two could use some banding elimination, perhaps similar contrast as the knight too.