AuthorTopic: Chunkbot  (Read 21491 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Chunkbot

on: August 14, 2006, 09:56:10 pm
I haven't seen anything like this on here, I am curious to hear your thoughts :)  all the textures were handpainted pixel by pixel, 3d model created in Wings3D and rendered in Blender:

Mods if you don't really count this as pixel art just wipe this thread its no problem :)

EDIT - On second thought here is the combo tex sheet all by itself, easier for zooming:

Thanks again!

ZOMG double edit - a little bit of background information!  I'm working on a DS game idea that is a mix of my favorite parts of FFT and Armored Core and a bunch of other bits and pieces.  You have to manage your team and their different personalities as well as outfit and maintain your 'toons of mecha.  Robots can be recolored dynamically, but many attachments and weapons just stay their own color (like the gun and jumpjets on this guy).  Nice mix of customization and strategy all tuned for the DS stylus+3d combination that i so dearly love...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:04:34 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Chunkbot

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 10:09:06 pm
I've seen your stuff before. Personally I dislike lowpoly 3d plus pixelled textures extremely much, it's just so grating to see unaligned grids of pixels all over themselves, but others might like that sort of thing more. I appreciate the discipline involved, as in all pixel art, but the artistic result isn't for me at all.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 10:21:53 pm
Flashbacks of hours spent playing Homeworld....

i really like the finish of these honestly, and i think they could easily have been overdone by someone else.  design is great.  i would push for a slightly more purple cast to the shadows and a more yellow cast to the highlights, but i dont know how you plan to recolor (if its using several predefined palettes then push the hues, if its using a color slider then dont because youll end up with funny lights, and since you put this together im sure you already knew that but anyway...)

kudos for using freeware too, i would love to see more of the project
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:45:14 pm
Thanks guys!

Helm - is that a challenge?  :D  Seriously though, I would be very interested to know if there is any lowpoly+pixel art that you EVER liked, just so I could check it and learn more...if not that's cool it's definitely not a look everyone loves!

Adarias - if this does ever find life on the DS I was gonna calc colors by having 3 sliders for the "base" hue of the Primary (red here), Secondary (yellow here) and Detail/Trim (electric blue).  Then I'd just calculate my other colors by darkening and mixing in blues, and likewise get the highlights by lightening and adding in some yellow.  The grays would be locked.  It'd be easier to set up the sliders that way, plus i only have to save 3 integers in order to remember the entire mech's color scheme.  Since the DS can draw quads just as fast as it can draw triangles (as long as they don't have to deform or collide) I should be able to get 5 or 6 of these guys on screen at once with a fairly detailed level in there as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:46:56 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:49:09 pm
sounds like a really fun project, i love the concept.  let me know how it turns out (or even better, if you are looking for assistants! :P)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 11:01:38 pm
I really like this piece. It's got an old-school feel to it that reminds me of some good ol' PS1 games. Xenogears seems to stick out in my mind when I look at this (which is a very good thing)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 12:08:01 am
Very interestin, don't know much about the technique but I think it looks smashing  ;D
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 04:36:56 am
It looks absolutley awesome. Makes me wanna take up low-poly modelling..  :-[

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 04:51:56 am
looks very nice
this technique seems to work well for boxy things like robots. I'd wonder how well it would suit something more organic in shape.
reminds me of some stuff flaber showed me once..

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 08:44:43 am
I like this kinda stuff a lot, no crits from me, i think it looks very cool.

And about Helm, I have been talking about this kinda stuff with him before, he only likes lowpoly when there are no textures or it's wireframe :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.