AuthorTopic: Naomi Animations  (Read 8983 times)

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Naomi Animations

on: January 13, 2015, 06:17:09 am
Struggling over here! I am apparently still god awful at animating and am trying to figure out this idle cycle and pistol fire animation situation.

How do I make her move like an actual human being  :D

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Naomi Animations

Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 06:29:27 am
For the firing animation, I would either add a frame in between the arm movements to make it smooth, or put a bit of blur to make it snappy.  I'm leaning towards snappy, but never hurts to try both.  Also, I feel the bun should move a tiny bit if the front is so animated.

The idle's hair on the other hand is a bit to animated.  I feel like it's flying too much without enough movement.  Don't remove it, but that amount of bounciness feels like it's for a run.  Otherwise the right/darker side could use another frame for the arm and pant leg when it extends.  And there may be a stray pixel right underneath the right arm where it should be black and not orange, but it might be intentional.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:05:02 am
Good looking sprite, I like the hair animation :) Here's an idea on adding recoil and fluidity to the shooting anim:

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:38:47 am
I think the sprite looks a little manly for a girl:

Some thoughts on the idle animation:

Some thoughts on the gun animation:

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:43:52 am
Yo slym.  :)

The idle pivots from the knees.

Get up and sway your hips.
The primary pivot is the ankles.

This isn't a super clean or correct edit in terms of context.
I'd probly do it differently on a second pass.
Less like a fighting dance perhaps.
But might give you some ideas about pivots and flexibility.

The follow thru is decent but could use some more distinct forces.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 07:08:35 pm
I think the sprite looks a little manly for a girl:

Some thoughts on the idle animation:

Some thoughts on the gun animation:

Personally, I like the idea of a beefy girl character. I think I feel that some of the changes you made (super slim, breast jiggle) are kind of overkill and make her feel like any other female character now days.
Good looking sprite, I like the hair animation :) Here's an idea on adding recoil and fluidity to the shooting anim:

I feel like this is a big improvement to the gun animation as well. I might take a crack at the recoil animation in a short while once I have time to spare, but great work so far! I really like it.  :)

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 07:48:37 pm
Woah!! Y'all are seriously the best <3 First off, try to ignore how much lack of knowledge I have about animating. I'm much more used to producing environments for games. I'm still working on the idle and will post my new version soon. But I just had to throw this out because I completely missed it:

The entire game is based on the idea of individuality and the main character, Naomi, is based off of my mother. She is meant to portray no ethnicity and no race. This is why her hair is white (everyone's hair turns white eventually.. I think.. ), and is also why her skin color is so medium. She is strong and proud of her biceps ::)

Naomi is also a lowly recruit of a military group that is part of a last ditch effort to save her hometown, but her movements are meant to be extremely well executed and exciting. The game is action-packed and meant to feel like she is a superhero, as she is meant to be a symbol of the feminist movement.

I also have been generally annoyed of boobs being the center of animations for female characters, which is why I chose to give her a black shirt. It leave it as ambiguous as possible.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:03:11 pm by slym »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:12 pm
During the idle animation I would say she jerks backwards too quickly and too far. I like the changes though  :y:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:21:00 pm
I have problems with the arms being bent and such in the shooting animation. If you try that IRL, wouldn't you break your own forehead?

The edit also uses insane recoil, but with the arms straight and that works better for me.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 11:47:29 pm
Yeah, I think the straight arms definitely make her look more skilled with the gun now: