AuthorTopic: Quasi [Windows/Mac/Linux]  (Read 7694 times)

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Quasi [Windows/Mac/Linux]

Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 10:06:32 pm
its a one-off fee though right? to become a steam developer? id pay it!
But then you are kind of  shafted if the game doesn't get past greenlight  :sigh:
If you have some good way of spreading the word about the game then you can definitely go for it.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 11:04:20 pm
If you have some good way of spreading the word about the game then you can definitely go for it.
Now that I think about it, If I had a good way to spread the word, then that would make it a bit pointless putting it up on steam. The idea of putting it on steam would be to spread the word, wouldn't it? Well, I guess the idea is to sell it if you're putting it on steam, but if you need to spread the word first, I should do that before putting it on steam.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:06:12 pm by AlexHW »

Offline dustinaux

• View Profile
    • dustinauxier.com

Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 11:23:51 pm
There's a couple different estimates on steam's market share if you google around a bit, but it seems to be around 70% or so of PC game sales.

I recently had a game get greenlit and actually did very little to spread the word. I only have a small following of people who had knew about the original game it's a sequel to - probably a few hundred maybe. Didn't spread word around much at all because I'm releasing the non-premium version as a flash game and was planning on promoting the game after that was released, but Valve decided for some reason to go ahead a greenlight a couple thousand games one day a few weeks ago so it got greenlit before the flash was even released.  :lol:

So basically if you can afford the $100, you really don't have anything to lose, and a lot to gain. There's no time limit on greenlight submissions either... it's not like a kickstarter for example where it's all or nothing in a month. Also your game looks better than plenty of games that end up being greenlit.  :y:
Currently making The Enchanted Cave 2

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 11:29:09 pm
But then you are kind of  shafted if the game doesn't get past greenlight  :sigh:

oh i thought it was a one time thing, so next time you want to put a game on steam you dont have to pay it. only a hundred bux, not much if youre serious about selling games surely?

@Alex i think putting it on greenlight is part of the publicity though too. the game gets shown to people through the voting system, and after so many votes youre good. id think about putting it on greenlight and emailing a press release out to people about it. give people the ability to vote before you convince them to vote

edit> and lol, i totally voted for your game dustinaux a while back
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:30:44 pm by Probo »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 02:16:18 am
but if you need to spread the word first, I should do that before putting it on steam.
Send out some copies.
Get it reviewed.
I was lucky enough to have my project just kind of spread on it's own with no effort. --> was too busy with college at the time
There's no guarantee that will happen naturally tho.

For clarity, I'm reffering to this.
Scroll down to Reception.
That happened on its own.
With some effort you could reach a lot more people. --> like I said we put in pretty much none
I'd suggest hitting some sites, youtubers, communities, etc.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:33:36 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 04:19:23 am
also, vlambeer made this for indie devs who want to make a press kit but arent too sure about it

http://dopresskit.com/

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 05:27:21 am

oh i thought it was a one time thing, so next time you want to put a game on steam you dont have to pay it. only a hundred bux, not much if youre serious about selling games surely?

@Alex i think putting it on greenlight is part of the publicity though too. the game gets shown to people through the voting system, and after so many votes youre good. id think about putting it on greenlight and emailing a press release out to people about it. give people the ability to vote before you convince them to vote

It is a one time thing. I was referring to the games that just get perpetually stuck in greenlight voting. Also, there is a large difference in publicity from getting the game greenlit to getting it on the new release page.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 06:45:49 am
I got the game because I thought it looked interesting. You got some good ideas in it, but the execution is lacking imo.

Here are some impressions:

Pro:
- it certainly feels different
- nice animations
- generally nice art

Con:
- there is a lack of clarity when it comes to platforms. Sometimes it is hard to tell what can be jumped on and what can't
- the controls when in transform state are really bad and need a lot of work imo, sometimes they feel inverted and that you automatically merge and go out of transform mode when the 2 sprites are close can be infuriating
- some spelling mistakes (or use of wrong words) "to great to bare" or something like that should be "to great to bear" for example.
- the writing in general feels very odd and could use some work as well, have someone who actually writes professionally look over it. There are many sentences that are just weird, "the whole world shook apart" for example.
- also the intro sequence where you are on the black structure was pretty confusing. I had no problem with it being kinda weird, but there are some areas where the collision could be tweaked, esp places where you can bump your head.

I need to play it more to see what more there is, but I did not make it very far (to the first place with the coloured hands floating around) and could not figure out how to progress.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline dustinaux

• View Profile
    • dustinauxier.com

Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 07:57:19 pm
also, vlambeer made this for indie devs who want to make a press kit but arent too sure about it

http://dopresskit.com/

Presskit's great! I use it and it's very easy to use and set up, would recommend.

Haha thanks! :D
Currently making The Enchanted Cave 2

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 08:41:40 am
Thanks for the feedback Ptoing, I fixed the spelling error.
Also fixed a few other things..
The presskit thing looks useful, but I'm not sure if there's anything to put in it that isn't already available.
Still not too convinced about steam- I just haven't seen any evidence that it would work out for the type of game this is. If I find some spare money to throw around I'd be more willing to test it, but there's not enough incentive at the moment to go out on a limb like that given the circumstances.