AuthorTopic: What is your honest opinion? {Edit}  (Read 4290 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: What is your honest opinion? {Edit}

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:56 pm
Also, should I have made a separate post, or am I fine just adding on to this one? I would like to follow the rules to this forum

There are no hard rules on the matter and you are free to choose.
Edit new content into the original post, or add a new post at the bottom.
Personally I think it's nicer to keep the linear flow of things with new posts in order.
That way there is clear interaction between the users and the art.

To extend the conversation on style more, here's some of my thoughts.
Warning: its very rambley.
It's quite all right to mimic, study, draw with, gain influence from, and even merge styles.
This is a very common and healthy practice among artists.
But there is a lot to consider when doing so.

In a way style belongs to the image.
Not to the artist.

I drew all three of the above.
Are they MY styles?
Or are they images that I drew that look a certain way?

With consistent use a style becomes known for an artists use of it.
But there is nothing stopping that artist from creating an image with a different style that would not be considered "their style".
Or another artist taking "their style" and making use of it themselves.
Or another artist developing a very similar style independently without knowledge of the other.

Style functionally serves an image to help it be what it is.
You can draw an object one way to give it a certain feel.
Or draw the same object another way for a different feel.

There are many different properties within a style that can be used to define cohesion.
Some are good to show similarities among objects, others are better for creating variety.
In general, it can be said that the most important property for cohesion is light.
The way that it interacts with objects, the number of passes rendered, how materials are represented, how contrast and separation of form are dealt with, etc.
Even objects that are very different, if they exist within the same world they will be presented within the same lighting concepts.

Cohesion means very little without comparison.
It takes a collection of objects to define a style.
Comparing them with each other will help you construct what it is that makes them separate from each other but unified as a group.
And comparing them with another collection of objects with a different style will help you see what they have in common and what makes them unique.

When studying a style you may think that it has certain rules or limitations.
But you should be careful with such thoughts.
Especially if art is still being worked into the style of choice.
The artist might add new content that you previously thought fell outside the guidelines of the style.
Is it now a new style?
Will you integrate the new concepts into your studies?
Is it important to divide the generations of the style?
Or will you take parts of the style that you find useful, and alter other parts with your own ideas?

I am trying something different. Overall, I really liked how my design turned out,with the colors and all, but the thing that bugs me is the shading. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:15:49 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1