AuthorTopic: [WIP] Background  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Satsume

• ~
    • View Profile
    • Deviant

[WIP] Background

on: January 09, 2015, 04:15:19 pm
Hello guys, i need help for this.
I'm working on BG for my project game, but i'm very beginner to do backgrounds (with large canvas z.z)
In your opinion, this is enough? or i must add more details?

thanks =/

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Background

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:26:10 pm
It really all depends on the type of game.  What I did notice is the resolution, 960x540.  That's pretty high.  I don't know how many or the size of any game assets or sprites, but to look right against this background, they would have to be close or the same as the background.  I'm just saying it would be a lot of work especially with animations.  Maybe a 480x270 or even smaller then blow it up in the code.  I've done this with a couple of my games for android.  I do a 256x128 then blow it up to fit a 1920x1080 screen and it's still a lot of work...lol  Sure it's a little pixely, but I don't have a team of pixel artists behind me.

Offline grue

• red & green
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:47:45 pm
Don't shade the sun - it's emitting light, not reflecting it.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 12:04:18 am
initial impression viewing this is pretty good  :y:
+1 tell us more about the gameplay.

ramblings...
the centre rock feels to regular like a perfect cylinder, i'd prefer it you made some deviations in the form such as a large shape connected and 1 or 2 smaller shapes around, just to make it look more natural.

don't shade the sun as mentioned. you can add some corona around the sun by shading the sky a bit but the sun itself looks like it should be pretty bright.
i would also avoid yellow for the sun or desaturate it so it doesn't compete with your sprites for attention.

atmospheric perspective of clouds (fading to sky/air colour) could use some balancing.
middle cloud hues not really doing any favours imo and the back one should have a bit more atmosphere (more faded to sky).
if you're in something like Gimp or Photoshop you could use a cheap cheat by cutting these clouds to a new layer, fill behind with sky then simply reduce their opacity.
then you could look at shifting the hues of the layers as desired.
there are more advanced 'cheats' but this is the simplest I can explain.

u have a light source but u don't rly ur shading doesn't use it.
the mountain on left for example is lit from left and sun is on right.
left side of nest at front should darker than right, should cast more shadow on grass etc etc.
remember that light and shade are your friends.
u don't need that much texture all over the grass for example as it makes it noisy and contrasty which again attracts the eye more than you probably intend.
instead you can suggest/imply texture by varying the pixels along the line between 2 bands of colour to create grass blades, then come along after and add a few patches of other blades and highlights.
with grass colours, try blending in a bit more yellow as it gets brighter so the yellow blades don't stand out so much.
general rule is things get bluer and usually less saturated in the shade towards yellow in the light.

i would avoid that straight brown ramp u have in the rocks now.
try desaturating that section then subtly blend in a few different hues as brightness increases to make it more realistic and interesting.
in rocks like that it also makes sense to have say 2 different ramps and vary the rocks a bit as if composed of different minerals (so you would create another ramp with hues that are shifted from the first one).
since the light source is kind of behind you would also want to consider using ambient lighting from the sky to further bring out the forms.

EDIT: just noticed from your post history you might be using a limited palette?
if so i wonder why as this can be so restrictive in art of this scale.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:06:31 am by Decroded »

Offline Satsume

• ~
    • View Profile
    • Deviant

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 12:59:12 am
Thanks for all critiques.
For the sun, i've fixed it, for the rest, i think i must have more time z.z maybe i don't understand the mechanics to made rocks or grass path (i've seen some pixel references), i can only try and try until the result it's acceptable..

for the resolution, mhm this project isn't for android, it's pc game, and i don't know how fix some problems with resolution, my collab had somme issues ( edit the resolution the pixel become shelled,stratchy, in low word, the pixel perfect is lost) and i've opted for 960x540 windowed (x2 1920 - 1080 full screen) =/
Anyway the game is an survival/rpg on dinosaurus/prehistoric theme

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:10 pm
yes please don't stretch ur game if its based on pixel art, only operate in clean ratios of 100%, 200%, 300% etc.

this is an issue which plagues me for mobile based games with the every changing resolutions though i guess the perceived standard of quality is lower on that platform    ???

Offline Satsume

• ~
    • View Profile
    • Deviant

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 09:01:23 am
I know i know, but i don't know how certain games manage this, i've thought about this, normal size  and x2 size (full screen if you have 1920 x 1080), if my pogrammer find a new method, can be better xD but anyway in this game i must have do only a few big backgrounds (luckily <-<).
in addition to, much games take advantage of little resolution to made low details z.z it's no fair.
For now, working on huds, waiting on others tips and critiques .-. (little examples are accepted xD)