AuthorTopic: Some tree's and grass i made  (Read 7504 times)

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Some tree's and grass i made

on: August 14, 2006, 04:17:22 pm
Okay well, this is the first time i've properly tryed pixel art, but here's what i got so far:

Problem is, i don't like the way the tree's are shaded, and i'm not good at shading, how can i improve them? I'm also stuck with making the grass and dirt, i don't like the one i've made very much and i'm not to sure about making grass =)

Also, i've been trying to make a tent, i made a nice outline:

But i'm at a complete loss for how to shade it, can anyone help me =)

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile

Re: Some tree's and grass i made

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 04:58:05 pm
Welcome to pixelopolis, first off.

About your sprites:

The grass and dirt tiles aren't bad, they're just repetitive. Get detailed. Try to define the blades of grass, and make a few different grass tiles to randomly mix in with the other grass tiles to break up to monotony. Same thing for the dirt. Add cracks, rocks, divots and ditches. Make dirt spots in the grass, etc. It's easy if you make a base grass tile, then duplicate it and place it next to the first grass tile. Then, make a dirt patch that spans over the two tiles. Add blades of grass (2-3 pixels high) randomly in some dirt spots (or in the dirt tiles) to make it look natural.

As far as shading the tent: First, I suggest changinbig the door into the tent. Make the lips of the tent doors fold outward, to look more natural. Then, shade where you think the tent might have natural folds / wrinkles / creases and put highlights on the p[arts closer to wherever your light source is coming from.

That's all for now, my lunchbreak is over and I have to get back to my job!

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 05:50:15 pm
I think the grass and the dirt would look a lit better if you gave them a texture other than random dots.

Also, the trees are in the wrong perspective: you're going for a 3/4 top down perspective, but the trees look like a side view, like they would be better suited for a side-scroller.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 07:04:59 pm
I think you used photoshop brush to make the dot texture because they have un-needed aa - which will boost your color count.

The tile transitions are also blatantly photoshopped.   Photoshop tools + pixel art = a BIG no-no.  Just use the pencil tool or even better - ms paint.

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 07:30:34 pm
What do you think of these different tree's i made, i also changed the colours a bit:

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:54:43 pm
You didn't change the perspective. They're just different types and colors.

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 08:57:13 pm
I know i dident and i don't really plan to, they look how i want them to look in my game, it's shading and tents i have trouble with.

Anyways, here's a new shot with grass, that a friend did for me:

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:15:05 pm
Lets see....Where to start here...
Looks like a drop shadow filter to me...

Also the shadows you dropped are inconsistent with the lightsource...

Just my opinion...

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:28:07 pm
Yeah i releaise that i'm going to change it in a bit.

Offline Shifty McSly

• the Master Thief
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 06:49:17 am
I made an edit of your basic green tree. I didn't change the lineart, as that part of it seemed ok, but I used the different green shades to better define the form of the tree. I also replaced the green highlight you were using with the highlight from the yellowy-green tree, as it was brighter and more noticeable. Some of the shading's still not fantastic but I think you could learn a bit from it. In your original version I thought the shading was a bit too randomly distributed. Also, using darker shades to make the lighter side of the tree seem more rounded wasn't really necessary in my opinion.