AuthorTopic: Some tree's and grass i made  (Read 7541 times)

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Re: Some tree's and grass i made

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 10:51:06 am
Woah! I like that tree much better than mine, i'll take a look and try to improve my original tree.

Edit: I had a go at it, and it just looks messed up =)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 11:43:20 am by cruel »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 10:28:36 pm
I think it'd be a better idea for you to work on a much smaller canvas.. You're just making it harder for yourself by making everything so big..

some screen sizes;
320  -  240
512  -  384
640  -  480
800  -  600
1024 -  768

I'd recommend you work in 320 - 240 for pc..

also for an rpg the angle's off, it looks like your viewing it more from the side than looking down on it.. I remember you saying 'well thats just how I want it to look'.. no one will play it..  :-\

goodluck with it ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:32:14 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 05:25:53 pm
As for your post above, i think the tree's look worse if anything, and i know it would be easier but i cannot use a smaller canvas in my already well devloped (programming-wise) engine, so making smaller tiles would be useless to me as i can do nothing with them.

Also, ive started on a house:

Can anyone please give me suggestions for shading it and making it look better
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 05:41:02 pm by cruel »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 05:45:21 pm
i would say add a lot more simple texture and shadows, but most importantly add interest to the design.  straight angles and boring patterns are always going to be boring, so why not spice things up?

as a side note, when you dont take a _single_ piece of advice offered, it doesnt really make people want to take the time to offer suggestions.  nobody likes talking to a wall
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 06:24:35 pm
I try to improve based on what people say to me, but alot of the things you say are hard for me to do, i've just started pixelling and when you say things like "simple texture" i have no clue what your talking about, so i can edit it to look better.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 09:10:59 pm
I try to improve based on what people say to me, but alot of the things you say are hard for me to do, i've just started pixelling and when you say things like "simple texture" i have no clue what your talking about, so i can edit it to look better.

not the best example, but look at this image: http://www.terrainosaur.com/dl_house.jpg

Now look again at yours. Which one looks more realistic? The world isn't made of plastic, it has texture. You need to manupilate shades so that they can show the texture of the wall (I recommend doing the same kind of thing to make the bricks look like bricks).

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:27:38 pm
I shaded the house a bit more to make it look less flat and added colours to the brick's, now i'm not sure what to do about the cream coloured bit in the middle: