AuthorTopic: pirate with pegleg **finished**  (Read 6256 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: pirate with pegleg

Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 03:43:46 pm

getting the face a bit smoother now. What does everyone think? Should i add anything to make it more
interesting?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: pirate with pegleg **finished**

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 09:49:40 am
Personally I like what you're doing here with the portrait... it's certainly improved over the course of the thread. I kind of like the roughness of the pixels around the beard and hair bit potentially you could carry on with this further and clean up some of those lines...

I'm not too keen on the sprite in comparison... proportionally its a bit out... the legs and the arms seem to be the same the length?

Regarding the Sabertooth image and to clarify what ptoing said, to me it looks like it's either a direct scan from a full color image or more likely (IMO) a P'shop job, taking some nice line art (inked) and with some painterly tones layered under the inked version... I've got a feeling there's a little post processing with the white outline probably added after by hand.

Keep on pushing!

Pete :)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

yosh64

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 12:44:24 pm
hey

Nice work, I quite like the style of your portrait :).

I too arn't as keen on your sprite, it looks rather stiff, and I think that maybe his clothing can be improved. Well I was thinking it may look more natural if the bottom of his coat loosly folded in some manner? and maybe if his sleves were looser around his wrist or something? Hmm, I found I had to zoom in to properly perceive his folded sleves :-\. I think maybe his sword could be taken down a shade as to give better perception of depth?

edit
Ohh, it just occured to me that I wasn't looking at your newest version when looking into your sprite. I was looking at the one at the very bottom, and I see it is different from the one at the very top :). So yea, I can much better perceive the area around the sleve in the latest version :).

cyas
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:48:27 pm by yosh64 »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 02:07:45 pm
Thanks for the reply baccaman21. I agree it would look better with the whole thing cleaned up. I thought
the proportions were okay (except for the belt being too low) but then again my anotomy sucks. While
I think this has turned out okay, it is different from the sabertooth image. I'd like to do the process you outlined - draw it, scan it, maybe ink it in flash (the curves on sabertooth's hair are awesome) and color it.

yosh64 - i tried making it a bit less stiff by having his arm bent and made the folded cloth. I'm not trying to make excuses but i was thinking about the 'pirates!' game on amiga when i was drawing this and maybe thats why it turned
out so ... blocky.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi