AuthorTopic: Stone Golem  (Read 3984 times)

Offline MichaelH

• View Profile

Stone Golem

on: December 28, 2014, 11:38:35 pm
I work with graphics in the oblique perspective (45 degree line to the upper left the up)....

okay, here is my golem(my first pixel art):

tips and reviews are welcome haha  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:40:49 am by MichaelH »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Stone Golem

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 02:04:56 am
Can't see too well on my phone but looks like a great pixel work.
Some suggestions:
 - make urself an iso cube and work within that so u can like things up better. This guy's perspective looks a but off to me.
 - I reckon he needs a brighter shade with more contrast along the top of head, shoulders and maybe a touch on the top of pecks.
 - maybe make his eyes glow gold or something to make it look more like a face.

EDIT: Also the host ur using is blocked out at work so I can't see ur images unless I use my phone.
Its a small thing but u might want to consider www.imgur.com since its got awesome drag & drop and copy & paste functionality anyway.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:57:05 am by Decroded »

Offline MichaelH

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:15:04 am

better?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:19:28 am by MichaelH »

Offline hobbler_toppler

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:28:26 am
The new one looks a lot scarier because of the bulky bodybuilder neck. I like it a lot. Whenever someone says they're new to pixel art you expect them to post something atrocious, but it looks like you already know the basics of how to draw.

Only thing about it is that the outline could be cleaned up a bit and looks unnecessarily thick in some places, although I could see this as a stylistic choice to make him seem more intense.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 05:08:06 am

better?  ;D
Thanks for using a host I can see  ;D
Looks better, great texturing  :y:
Perspective seems LESS isometric now though, are you sure you mean isometric and not 3/4 rpg view?

I think you can add more contrast and warmth in the lighter areas to make it appear more vivid.
I'm lazy so usually just use Photoshop's built-in tools for adjusting colours then tweak them manually afterwards.
I like to create new layers or place versions next to each other as I'm working so I can compare the progress.

I can't edit here but you can also experiment with things like adding "saturation bounce" in your ramp.
A simple example is you can up the saturation of your second brightest colour, then lower it again (towards white) in the specular areas.
How you tweak it obviously depends on the material and lighting effect you want but the general idea is that the material's natural colour is most vivid where light is on it but not so much that its reflecting.
I don't know if that makes complete sense or is proper concept as its just an idea I've been messing around with in my head.
You don't want to go crazy but small changes can make for interesting effects.

Offline MichaelH

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:40:23 am
I work with oblique perspective (I wrote wrong), but I understand what you mean.
Later I can try a edit haha  :P

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 09:32:14 am
I work with oblique perspective (I wrote wrong), but I understand what you mean.
Later I can try a edit haha  :P
Yeah I prefer that perspective too.
When I'm playing isometric I can never remember which way is up  :crazy:

Offline alexashby

• View Profile
    • My Tumblrrr

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 04:12:35 am
Wow I'm really liking the design! I'm going to make a small edit in photoshop to show a thought I had but it will have to wait, gota head out... Felt overall I love the upper half, and he feels big! I felt maybe his legs could be in more shadow maybe though? I think they feel a bit more confusing then his very well defined arms. But I thought you could help that with some shadows.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:23:57 am by alexashby »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 06:06:49 am
Currently the golem looks as it is fine, however it also could be seen directly from the front.

You could try to seperate the planes in a clearer way to get a stronger imagination of the steep viewing angle.
THis will ground the sprite a lot more in the 3d space, despite the changes might appear really subtle at first.

also there is some weird stuff going on with how the arms/legs look like with how you placed the stones.
You tried to fake some "anatomy" although it's not right. I don't really addressed this in my edit, but I think you might benefit from looking at some references to find a better solution.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:19:03 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 08:16:26 am
Oh yeah I also meant to mention he was missing biceps  :lol: