AuthorTopic: Super Time Force Style Animation  (Read 14359 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Super Time Force Style Animation

Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 03:30:58 am
Best version so far. :) If you are trying to replicate exact effect of twitching you should move some pixels in his legs to, and maybe choose different direction of movement for different parts like in reference. It will be a bit complicated thing to make at this size but I think that you should try.

This is nitpicking but strange thing here is that his limbs drastically change size during the animation. I know that this effect shouldn't be realistic and that it's usual thing in animations but it's a bit too much. Also that one pixel on his right foot makes him look like his sock is half way off and it's folded. You should remove that.

Tried a few different ways, but the legs are too small to have any decent shake.

Otherwise, made him a bit taller in his stand frames, changed the ghost's arms to the same pose as the character, and also added more STF style shading of separating sides.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 02:31:38 am
Part of the problem is probably that anatomically speaking, all your characters have extremely short legs. It works as a stylistic thing, but there's a problem when you move to animation.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 03:15:24 am
Another part's probably that they're just too small in general.  The one above is twice the size of what it should be because of ease of visibility.  Minor movements like the pants shaking just don't work, as the motions become way too dramatic.

I'll eventually work on some bigger and different styles, but STF doesn't lend itself well to that kind of motion.

Offline Echo-07

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 08:13:23 am
Hey Rosier,

I like seeing this animation coming along and developing, I especially like the body twitch that you added, it makes it feel like the spirit is bursting out of him.

At no point did I think that the spirit was coming out of his crotch, it was always clear to me that it came out of his chest.

I think this latest version is working well but I agree with Harvey, the legs increase in size and the right leg looks like its sliding to the side more than bending at the knee as his torso jerks back from the spirit bursting out. I think your reference is good but I personally think that jojo pose is too extreme and just makes him look like he is sticking his crotch out. A more subtle version of it would work much better and I think you're real close to that. Just defining the bent knee of the right leg and pulling it a bit will work.

One last suggestion, have you considered having the character throw his head back as the spirit bursts out? I think it would fit well with the twitching and accentuate the fact that something is (painfully?) bursting out of him.

Good work bud  :y:

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 11:58:38 pm
Unfortunately, the legs thing is a bit unavoidable just in regards to how the style works out.  The latest one has him as tall as possible without getting into slenderman proportions.

As for the pose, I went for subtle to begin with and everyone told me to ramp it up.

The bursting out isn't supposed to be painful at all.  It's a power up straight from his soul, so that's why he's pretty nonchalant about his head movement, plus the Jojo pose didn't pull back at all.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:15 pm
original guy looks ok to me now, the clone guy looks a lot clearer now. The one thing that still bugs me is that the way you motion blurred the clone's arms sorta make them look a bit like tentacles. You have the arm settle in the final position first and then the forearms and hand follow behind, that's what things move like when they're limp and the motion originates from the base of the limb, that works for tentacles, scarfs and tails but it looks weird on a humanoid's arms.

Other than that nothing bugs me, I could suggest things to make it more interesting like maybe making the clone's pose less like the original, maybe his arms should project upwards a bit more or something. maybe you should have his motions also sync up more with the original as if he was being puppeteered by the other guy (not literally puppeteered, just maybe more like when DBZ characters are using gestures to change the direction of an energy ball, or when naruto guys use jutsu shit to move things from a distance...if they do that, dont really know :p)

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 12:34:53 am
If it isn't supposed to hurt, then maybe some reference from DBZ... oh, Conceit beat me there.
Well then if my memory serves me right Shaman King might have some soul related stuff to look at.

To provide the feeling that it is coming out of his soul you might need not effects to help portray that.

I would be nice if it was extended though or explained whats happening. b/c I'm not really sure where your trying to take it. The spirit kinda pops in and out.
is it like some double dragon spirit that pops out, or more like a clone that comes out and fights for you?

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 01:38:58 am
@conceit
I don't have my pc at the moment, so I'll try messing around with the arms when I can.  I'm also trying to visualize how to maybe make it sync up a bit more, like having him throw his arms up to match the spirit. 

@NowvaB
Without getting into too much backstory, it's based on the concept of a thought form, or Tulpa.  Basically, it's a second body that shares a mind with the person and can be projected as a separate entity, allowing one body to accomplish one task and the other to do a separate one from a distance.  In the animation, he's summoning just the upper part for no other reason than to strike a pose before recalling it because that was the goal of the animation.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 09:33:01 pm

Synced up the arms of both of them, plus got rid of the blur.