AuthorTopic: Dragon [C+C] Textures, color and form  (Read 2162 times)

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Dragon [C+C] Textures, color and form

on: December 30, 2014, 01:56:38 am

There's an odd pixel here and there that could be fixed, but I mainly want some thoughts on how to give the dragon more texture. So far I've added some scaley bits, but I'm sure there's probably more I could do to improve them.

I'm also looking for critique on form and color. Also, the shadow is rough right now, but I don't really know how to even approach making it accurate.

Thanks!

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: Dragon [C+C] Textures, color and form

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:15:42 am
Here's what I see:

There is a problem with readability caused by tangents.  One of the horns and the lower body, the rear leg(?) and the shoulder joint, these all run into each other.

From Thumb War ( http://www.autodestruct.com/thumbwar.htm ):
Overlap // Overlap shows what's in front (outline thickest around things closest to you) and what's in back. Use draw-through to get overlaps correct. In addition to giving you cheap dimensionality with a minimum of perspective tricks, overlap frees you from drawing whatever is obscured. Often the viewer will fill in those obscured details themselves. Pay attention to overlap that occurs WITHIN objects. Make all overlaps obvious to avoid tangents : lines/objects that appear to touch or intersect awkwardly, weakening your depth illusion.

The shadows on the tail don't match the shadows on the body.

I can't tell what those ridges on the center back are.  Seats?  Scales?  Coils?

It's kind of odd to have one wing edge on and the other almost flat to the view.   The visual masses are balanced by the head and tail, it's just a bit odd. 

Overall this image is ok.  I don't think you can get a lot of texture detail at this scale, so maybe a use a few representative scales here and there instead.

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Re: Dragon [C+C] Textures, color and form

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 03:35:09 am
The shadows on the tail don't match the shadows on the body.

Thanks! Any chance you could give me some pointers as to how you think it should be? Light source in my mind is up and left.

I can't tell what those ridges on the center back are.  Seats?  Scales?  Coils?

They are ridges. xD I took the name "Ridgeback Dragon" very seriously. They're meant to be just big wonky slabs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:35:12 am by JoeCreates »