AuthorTopic: Escaping Earth  (Read 2354 times)

Offline hobbler_toppler

• View Profile

Escaping Earth

on: December 27, 2014, 07:22:03 pm
This is an ending screen for a flash game I'm making.

This displays after the player breaks away from Earth's gravity and launches into space. The yellow speck will flicker and slowly move away from the planet, while congratulatory text is displayed on the top.

To be honest it looks a little bit better than I thought I was capable of at first, but I still don't think it looks like it was drawn by a true professional. Anybody have advice? In particular, I feel like the earth looks a bit too "blobby", but I'm having trouble adding detail to it that doesn't seem like random noise. Also, I feel like the space area could be done with more detail to seem more mysterious and fantastic.

Now that I'm typing it out, it occurs to me that my main problem with most of my art in general is that I don't know how to add detail that is believable and professional looking. I just draw in "blobs" and tend to leave it that way. Any help with this is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Offline Pukahuna

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/40206.htm
    • pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Re: Escaping Earth

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:35:42 pm
I did this quick edit, I think if you add more colours you will be able to detail it more (Ignore the yellow speck, i thought it was a meteor) I also think you should do the clouds following the circular shape of the planet, as you did with the land ^^
ig: @pukahuna

Offline hobbler_toppler

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:17:25 pm
Thanks for the edit. I especially like the way you did the clouds.

Here's some progress. I tried to make the clouds more circular and full of depth. One problem I'm experiencing is that the green on the top of the orb isn't actually supposed to be land: it's supposed to represent slime and pollution infesting the ocean. I tried to convey this a little better but I still feel like most people will interpret it as land.

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 11:10:43 pm
If you're going for a polluted and nasty atmosphere, perhaps try shifting all the colours to look a bit more "sickly"? I made your greens more orange, your oranges more brown, and made you clouds a bit greener here.

Eriophora Zia