AuthorTopic: Pixel Artist In Training, Advice?  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Eli_Shane

• View Profile

Pixel Artist In Training, Advice?

on: December 29, 2014, 10:28:32 pm
Hey everyone! I am not a new pixel artist, but I do need to work hard and take time to make my art look good. Take a look at some of these pieces, any advice would be appreciated. I am only 13, and I just started this, so it's supposed to look bad... right? Here is my photo bucket, this is actually only for this project, I am working on, so this isn't all the art I've ever done. http://s95.photobucket.com/user/Eli_Shane/library/?sort=3&page=1
Life is everything. Simple as that.

Offline grue

• red & green
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Artist In Training, Advice?

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:32:02 pm
That library seems to be private.

Offline Eli_Shane

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:34:56 pm
Should be fixed, how's it look now?

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 12:27:33 am
first advice: check out how this forum works.
Just read other threads to get a grasp.

Usually the subject of a thread is a single piece of art and mostly a clearly outlined problem the opener wants to overcome.
All critiques given are meant to improve that piece or to help with the problems.
The op edits that piece and polishes it, which results in a learning experience for everyone - the opener, the critque giver and all the readers.

Threads with a lot of art but no clear goals or problems stated, tend to get buried and dont receive answers.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:02:18 am
You should learn to draw using pen and paper first, and later go back to pixel art. Pixel art probably look very simple, but if you don't understand how things should be drawn, pixels won't help you to hide lack of skill. You are still young, and if you like art: draw, practice and enjoy it.

this is actually only for this project
Don't get too serious with this yet.  ;)

The more you draw the better you will be. Great example of this is Cyangmou (previous reply) who regularly practice on paper and put his effort to learn new things. Using those skills he makes amazing pixel art.

Be patient and enjoy the learning process. :)

Offline grue

• red & green
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 01:31:53 am

Took a stab at the dinosaur archer. First of all, try not to work on a very saturated background - it skews your perception of colours and tires your eyes. Second, zooming out and/or mirroring the piece every so often while working helps you notice mistakes easier (you may know this already, but it can't hurt to mention it).

Many of the colours you're using are very similar - try to use the least amount of colours you can get away with. This improves readability and makes it easier to adjust things later and animate. Don't be afraid of contrast - at the size you're working, subtle changes in colour are more or less invisible. Also, try to vary the hue when shading - in general, shadows are less saturated and tend towards the complementary colour of the light. For example, if the light is yellow, the shadows will have a blue/violet tinge (this depends on the colour model you're using). Additionally, if the light is warm, the shadows will be cool and vice-versa.

Your shapes are very blocky - even a single pixel will make a world of difference in a small image. Try to focus on how a particular pixel affects the shape as a whole, not just the pixels near it. When adding small details, it's better to just hint at them using a pixel or two instead of  trying to draw them as they actually look.

Why is the archer sitting so far back? They would fall off the moment the dinosaur started moving! If you did it to keep the bow and the dinosaur's head from overlapping - there's no need to. In a larger image, you'd have to be careful to avoid tangents, but they're not really a problem here.

Regarding animation - if you're interested in learning it, I suggest getting a book called "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams and studying it. It's one of the most useful books on the subject I've found and explains it far better than I ever could, especially in a single forum post. Although it deals with traditional drawn animation, the fundamental skills are also applicable to pixel art. Good luck!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 04:14:49 am
Firstly, Photobucket is rubbish for pixel art and has annoying ads compared to www.imgur.com, so try that instead.
Secondly you need to post the actual image of the particular piece you want help with, not just links to your gallery.

In terms of animation you should really experiment ALOT with frame timing.
For example you would slow down the pulling back of the bow then have a fast release with a delay afterwards before the loop started again.
It also makes no sense that the creature's legs move as the guy fires the arrow or that there is absolutely no movement in the guy holding the bow (thats just really weird).
If you're going to animate the creature then consider doing it at different timing from the rider and have a reason for doing it, not just to create single frame flickers for the sake of it.
grue's edit fixes some of these things.

Offline Eli_Shane

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 04:34:28 pm
Thanks so much for the help! I fixed some of these issues, I deleted the old ones and put the new ones on the photo bucket.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 12:16:37 am
I fixed some of these issues, I deleted the old ones and put the new ones on the photo bucket.
Deleting the old and replacing with new removes the ability to see progress.
It would be much better if you put your images into your posts and left the old and new as is.
You will get better responses from other members of the community and also have a recorded path of improvement.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:30:35 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 02:49:30 am
I fixed some of these issues, I deleted the old ones and put the new ones on the photo bucket.
Deleting the old and replacing with new removes the ability to see progress.
It would be much better if you put your images into your posts and left the old and new as is.
You will get better responses from other members of the community and also have a recorded path of improvement.
^ What he says.
Do yourself a favour and make it easier for us to help you ;-)