AuthorTopic: 16px platformer  (Read 13429 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

16px platformer

on: December 26, 2014, 07:00:27 am
woke up feeling "sketchy" after all the festivities  :lol:

was in the mood for a simple, bright, colourful and super-generic lo-res mockup.
crits and edits welcome as always.
might actually make this playable once ive caught up with my studies.
will have to up the screen res a bit though.

the sprite might need some design work i couldnt think of anything interesting.

does this animation look OK?

i tried moving the belt buckle as his hips moved but it was too flickery looking and didn't have any joy with subpixel.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Re: 16px platformer

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 12:18:13 pm
Hey cute mockup Decroded  ;D

Some thoughts on the animation:

Your shield and sword seem a little out of sync with the movement of the body

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 02:32:09 pm
Hey thanks bro I'll check that out.
I was originally going to have more movement but thought it would be too much but now I see it looks better actually.
I'm thinking I should keep him as close to staying within 16gb as I can so he can run through single grid space.
I think my version goes 1px over which is probably ok or if it looks bad in practice I'll have to trim him down a bit.

EDIT: Small updates.

Stole some ideas from Wolfie:
 - frame time
 - foot lighting
 - more movement
 - arms jerk BACK faster than forward

...and discarded others:
 - extra pixel height for technical reasons
 - those feet even though I can't stop laughing at them :lol:

Still feels like I need to make movement a bit more sudden but I got into some iterations of the hero:

Again stole some ideas from Wolfie and abandoned others.
The character is not dissimilar from something he's designed in the past but I'm trying to take it in a more simplistic and cute direction.

I think I can get away with the plume hanging outside the 16x since its not really solid  ???
Background now tiles.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 01:25:27 am by Decroded »

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:52:56 am
Here's an edit I just threw together.

I felt that there were a few lighting issues on the helmet and the rest of his armor so I made the light source for the helm, sword and shield all from the upper left so  that it matched the tree and chest. I also added a bit more depth to the chest piece and tweaked the legs below which I feel helps him stand out a bit more from the rest of the world while still looking like he belongs. Also changed and raised the face by a pixel in height and played with the grass a bit. I really like where this is headed so far, can't wait to see where you take it! :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:55:23 am by Tidbit »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 10:09:12 pm
Dark-foresty type environment

Edit: tweaked levels of foliage layer

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:47:06 am by Decroded »

Offline hobbler_toppler

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 04:32:10 am
Those trees on the closest layer of the background look really nice. Good job with the leaves. It looks like you're having a lot of fun with this.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:51:43 am
Here's an edit I just threw together.

I felt that there were a few lighting issues on the helmet and the rest of his armor so I made the light source for the helm, sword and shield all from the upper left so  that it matched the tree and chest. I also added a bit more depth to the chest piece and tweaked the legs below which I feel helps him stand out a bit more from the rest of the world while still looking like he belongs. Also changed and raised the face by a pixel in height and played with the grass a bit. I really like where this is headed so far, can't wait to see where you take it! :D
Thanks for the edit Tidbit :y:
I like your ideas especially looks good for a static image.
But for technical reasons I've stuck with the highlighted feet and solid white sword with partial outline because I found this combination stands out well against lots of backgrounds.

Those trees on the closest layer of the background look really nice. Good job with the leaves. It looks like you're having a lot of fun with this.
Thanks. Tempted to add backlighting for extra wow factor but can't really get away with it at that res without ruining readability.
Feels like the ground tiles are a bit noisy though so I better rework them at some stage, maybe come back for another pass after some new environments.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:59:32 am
haven't been too confident with leaves in the past so more clustering practice.

process:

edit: just realised i output these wrong showing old layers behind so fixed that
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:53:39 am by Decroded »

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 09:23:26 pm
Love this stuff. But be careful about giving background objects too much detail...the new tree may be pretty; but it now jumps out and competes for focus.

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 09:48:38 pm
I quite like the new tree, though the contrast of the trunk is rather different to the contrast of the leaves, which looks a bit odd to me. Wouldn't think the darkest patches of leaves would be so much lighter than the darkest patches of trunk.