AuthorTopic: [WIP] Assorted RPG assets  (Read 8629 times)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: [WIP] Assorted RPG assets

Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 10:56:41 pm
I like your walk animation and most of the things you've made so far, I especially like small mockup with three characters and monster.

Background color is very appealing and it creates nice atmosphere. I don't know why but in your room mockup that atmosphere is missing. Also if you want to make walls in perspective wallpaper ornaments should also be in same perspective, cause now walls and wallpapers work against each other.

In walk animation there's white pixel line between arms and torso which looks strange. Here's my edit. Body movement is maybe too much but I experimented just to give you idea how you and add more life and movement into this animation.  :)

Offline grue

• red & green
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 12:16:28 am
Any better? I didn't exaggerate as much as you did, but the movement should still be noticeable, especially on a darker background. It's a little choppier than before, but adding more frames made it look much worse, so I'll leave it as it is for now.

It's just a guess, but I think the atmosphere is different because I didn't colour the tiles by hand - I'm not done scribbling on them yet and didn't want to waste any time in case something changed drastically, so I just added a colour overlay. It looks a bit lifeless, I agree; I'm not going to leave it like that.

I admit I have no idea how to make a tiling wallpaper ornament in perspective. This is the best I can do, I'm afraid. If it looks bad, I guess I'll just scrap it.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 01:03:31 am
Much better. :)

I admit I have no idea how to make a tiling wallpaper ornament in perspective. This is the best I can do, I'm afraid. If it looks bad, I guess I'll just scrap it.

Like the wall ornaments should be wider at the top and narrower at the bottom, but this could be very tricky and it would be a waste of time. After all if you like it you keep it you don't have to follow all rules. You can maybe try to add some 1px vertical stripes in perspective that are not very close to imply wallpapers but to avoid complication. Experiment and you will see. :)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 01:46:33 am
A repeating pattern like that is technically impossible with only one " tile" being repeated. If you look at how LoZ does it, there are multiple sections of varying scales: the small ones of course at the bottom and large ones at the top. However, with 2d game art we often do not have a problem suspending our disbelief with such things; what you have now could certainly work as a stylistic choice.

Offline Pinux

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:37 pm
If you need a simple room an example is from a game called Earthbound it has that type of style thats similar recommend the second or third game(Earthbound 2 or 3)

EDIT:The First Image has a example of it => http://walkthrough.starmen.net/mother3/chapter7_2.php
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:17:47 pm by Pinux »

Offline grue

• red & green
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 10:19:28 pm
Made a third variant with slightly less broken perspective. I'd completely forgotten about Earthbound; the third game has the least odd-looking rooms I've seen so far. Thank you.

I'll try the layered walls if something looks very wrong but for now, it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth. (And I'm kind of fond of that pattern, even if it does look a bit unfortunate if one looks closely.)

Offline Pinux

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 11:31:07 pm
You could add a vent in the top right corner.. or a poster? But still I love the room  ;D

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 02:54:22 am
Is that moon/sunlight being cast onto the floor through a window? If so there shouldn't be any noticeable foreshortening given that both celestial objects are fricking far away.

Offline Kamirose

• View Profile
    • DeviantArt Gallery

Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 12:40:14 pm
I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the perspective on the bed seems off. The left side should be more up and down, unless you're tilting it for stylistic reasons.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 09:58:34 pm

How about some shoulder rotation and a little lifting of the leg?

It *would* change characterization a bit, some movements might be possible to deemphasize, but just an idea
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:01:24 pm by Pix3M »