AuthorTopic: [WIP] Pink Ghost Avatar  (Read 3009 times)

Offline pkjo

• View Profile

[WIP] Pink Ghost Avatar

on: December 19, 2014, 01:43:46 pm
Worked on this a little while back. I'm really close to being done, but I would like some fresh eyes to critique it before I finally call it finished.

Started like:

Someone remarked that the back corner was off and the AA a little too heavy, so it eventually became this:

My main concerns are the antialiasing of the back corner along the black outline and the corner starting right under the hat.
Feel free to comment/critique about anything else, also.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:01:18 pm by pkjo »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Pink Ghost Avatar

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:23:30 am
I think design is more of an issue than the pixeling.
Nothing about it says "ghost" to me.

I just can't relate to what it is or find it interesting.
The hat looks interesting but the magenta square thing lets it down.
At this resolution you could make something with more detail.

The way the swirl thing at the bottom continues the front plane seems to suggest its a flat shape which conflicts with the box shape.
And then the swirl gets cut off which seems like a bad idea.

Offline pkjo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 04:41:46 am
My apologies. I suppose I should've included some context. I was tasked with blowing up characters for their cutscene avatars, one of which was the little pink ghost on the far right.

There weren't any more details I could add, I'm afraid.
Is there anything, other than design, that seems off?

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:18 pm
The hat looks cool. In the original, it is ambiguous where the tail is given the limited colors. The tail might therefore be at the back, which is slightly more ghostlike, and slightly less speech-bubble like. In the blown up version the tail could be at the back, then. In the originals, the squareness is less, and the tails are thicker, so there's some leeway to experiment with these to make it more ghostlike.  The tiny versions are presumably more abstract than the cutscene versions, so there are probably a few more little details you could add to hint at ghost.

One other thing I notice is that the cutscene version is way higher contrast and way higher resolution. I'm not sure it would feel in place in a game with the smaller sprites. Difficult to see without seeing the original game, but maybe these are things worth considering.

Offline pkjo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:22:13 am
I may have taken its original form too literally. It looked like a speech bubble, so I ran with it. A mistake on my part, seeing as some people have said that the design is odd. Hopefully, it's still okay because the game will provide context.
The artist seemed fine with my initial interpretation, however. I guess that's why I never really considered making it more ghostly.
I will definitely bring this information up to him.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:11:14 am
Yes u really should provide more information when u post for crits.
I would go with a more rounded shape and less box-like.
This way u can experiment more with shading.
Are you able to add some more interesting light sources such as coloured back lighting?
Have u considered putting the main light underneath him?