AuthorTopic: Where to go when you need good animation reference  (Read 2669 times)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Where to go when you need good animation reference

on: December 28, 2014, 08:52:43 pm
Hi guys,

I always wandered is there any website, blog or some database where you can find different types of pixel art or drawn animations to use as reference (different regarding number of frames, types, solutions etc.). I regularly collect gifs for my personal database, but this collection is not as near diverse as I need it to be. There's few good sites with sprite resources and game rips but those are all sprite sheets, and I would rather watch the animation with defined timing. Google is useless for this type of search. :(

thanks in advance. :)

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Re: Where to go when you need good animation reference

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 12:02:07 am
Mmm... I tend to just do it locally. It's been 2 years and I've already got fifteen gigs of stuff for animation. A large collection of pixel art as well.

Here's a blog I like: http://cammadanar.tumblr.com/ It's kind of dead right now, but posts well mades gifs from all sorts of things, mainly from Anime. It's only 205 pages, you could make it through the archive rather quickly.

It'll show you rotoscopes, comparisons of stages of production, mocap (though I'm aware you're interested just in drawn things.

There's this blog which... has apparently changed since I last went there. It used to be exactly what you wanted, except only for effects. You could choose say... fire and it would show you just the fire ones. It may still be searchable, but I couldn't find how to do it with a quick check. Edit: I just really checked it again, this is probably now exactly what you want. And no longer just about effects. Check it out!

The Animator Expo has been a cool thing to follow so far. Fairly different styles, frame rates, and updated nearly every week. Lots of nudity, most aren't like MeMeMe I promise.

Realizing I've posted a fair amount of Anime stuff, you might enjoy Catsuka's tumblr. Haven't really browsed there much myself, but knowing what Catsuka is about, you might enjoy it.

AVIdemux is super cool/easy to use if you want to look at a video frame by frame. You may find cool info in short films you already have on your computer.

I'm aware of quite a few places that specialize on production art (that is storyboards, model sheets and the like), but it seems like you're more into seeing things move.

I guess my answer is I've been doing this a long time and haven't really found a cool single source for EVERYTHING. But I could drop links all day. To specific animators, to more blogs, to whatever. For pixel art, I'm on this website and pixel joint's gallery every day. I download everything good. I went through 1367 pages of this thread and also downloaded the good stuff. It's... kind of obsessive, but that's how I keep up with this stuff. I too would be interested in any kind of comprehensive database.

Edit: Oh yeah. I can't imagine you haven't seen this, but here's third strike: http://www.zweifuss.ca/
You said you don't like spritesheets. That's every thing in the game timed (mostly properly. 60 FPS and gif don't play well together.), and easy to access.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:22:57 am by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Where to go when you need good animation reference

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 02:29:46 pm
Kasumi thank you so much. :)  :y:

I will go trough all these links.

I also like to download nice stuff, as you said it's like obsession, so this is like Christmas present for me. :crazy:

I've downloaded some nice things from tig forums, but I never scroll though this tread from the beginning.

And yes I have http://www.zweifuss.ca/ in my bookmarks. ;)

Thanks again and happy holidays.  :)