AuthorTopic: Game Palette  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Game Palette

on: December 16, 2014, 10:13:57 pm
Hi all! I've made pixel art for a while, but I've only ever used the NES palette or inherited a palette, I've never made my own! The general idea with the art direction is very noir; objects and bad guys are lifted up out of total blackness. That's the goal as it stands at least, so I'm attempting to make a palette that can help facilitate that. I have to admit I'm just kinda grasping at straws as to what constitutes a good palette. It seems fine to me, but I figure before I hunker down and start making a ton of assets I should get some outside feedback. Let me know what you think so far!

Offline pgil

• View Profile

Re: Game Palette

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:40:29 pm
Not bad!
My first thoughts:  You're really lacking in the blues and cool greys, which are important when doing night scenes, while you have lots of reds that are really similar.  There are some nice ramps in there, though.  I like that dark green to orange.   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:42:17 pm by pgil »

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:06:23 pm
Thanks! I agree that I neglected the cool blues. Added a few and updated the sandworm guy to test it out, also added some green glowyness just for kicks.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 02:02:08 pm
What's the use of "making a palette" if it's going to contain so much colors (of which 50% look very similar).