AuthorTopic: [Request] 6-Bit RGB Palette  (Read 6065 times)

Offline DragonDePlatino

• Pixel Dragon
    • View Profile
    • =DragonDePlatino

[Request] 6-Bit RGB Palette

on: December 14, 2014, 11:25:41 pm
Recently, I decided that I'd like to experiment with a mockup using 6-bit RGB (64 Colors, each color has RGB values of 0, 85, 170 or 255). This is the palette the Sega Master System used, and even though it's ugly I think I could get some interesting results. The problem is, whenever I search for a 6-bit palette I only get images like this:

This is the correct image, but it isn't very pixel art friendly. Instead, I'd like the palette organized into hue-based ramps like the NES palette:

Would this be possible? I've tried manually rearranging the first image myself and it's proven too complicated.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: [Request] 6-Bit RGB Palette

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:29:29 am
Wikipedia has this:

Offline DragonDePlatino

• Pixel Dragon
    • View Profile
    • =DragonDePlatino

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:26:45 pm
Well, yeah...that image was right above the one I posted. I wasn't really satisfied with it because it doesn't have all of the 6-Bit colors and a few of the color values were off. But after Dawnbringer gave me a little bit of help over on the PixelJoint forums, I managed to cook up this:

It's not quite perfect, but it's reaaally close...it seems that 6-Bit color has two separate ramps, one for desaturated and one for saturated color?

Offline DragonDePlatino

• Pixel Dragon
    • View Profile
    • =DragonDePlatino

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:02:04 pm
Thanks to help of Dawnbringer over on the PixelJoint forums, I was able to arrive at a nice final palette. It's organized into a nice 5x13 block and ordered by hues like in the NES palette. In case anyone's interested, here's the final palette:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:29:45 pm
That palette has some weird ramps, where stuff goes from super saturated to desaturated and then back up. Would likely look ugly in most situations if used as actual gradients in an artpiece like that.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline DragonDePlatino

• Pixel Dragon
    • View Profile
    • =DragonDePlatino

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:18:41 am
Well...it's just about the best I could do. Like Dawnbringer showed here, the 6-Bit colorspace is split into two kinds of color...Fully-saturated primary ramps, and then scattered secondary colors. It was easy enough to set up the primary ramps on the even rows of my palette, but I really was at a loss of what to do with those weird little desaturated secondary colors. In the end I opped to just shove them on the odd-numbered rows in order of perceptual brightness. Their hues and saturation are all over the place so they aren't really intended to be actual ramps.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:59:41 am
the 6-Bit colorspace is split into two kinds of color...Fully-saturated primary ramps, and then scattered secondary colors.

This is true of all all NNN colourspaces (apart from 111 which just has 8 colours, no real ramps), N in this case being 2. It is just a lot more noticable because there are so few colours. If you would try the same with a 333 palette it would be similar, just longer ramps.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.