AuthorTopic: [NSFW] Samus  (Read 9714 times)

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

[NSFW] Samus

on: December 08, 2014, 03:44:59 am
Full disclosure: No artistic nudes here. This is a straight-up fetish piece. While it's not actually explicit, it's absolutely sexually charged, so I understand if the community feels uncomfortable with this being here. If there's any objection I'll gladly ask for this thread to be removed... however I'd really appreciate some help first, haha.

So yeah, this is an xmas gift for a friend of mine that likes tentacles and Samus. :U

Spoiler'd for extra caution

Just to be clear, the idea here is that the action is completely consensual- there's more than enough negative stuff like this out there. I'd rather Samus be clearly enjoying herself here, despite not being completely in control. Does that make sense? I know her expression needs work for that to be the case though.

Obviously it's still pretty loose/sketchy in most places, but I figured it's better to ask for help early on. Colors are super WIP, I know the ramps are really segmented right now. Still slowly adding/tweaking colors. I'm really looking to improve my understanding of metal and reflections on this one.

Used these as references:
http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/images/samus/samus.jpg
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--QGGBESCs--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/18hx2wk3esr67jpg.jpg
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/WiiU_SuperSmashBros_SamusZeroSuit_Screen_05-960x540.jpg

update:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:36:45 am by Regulus Awesome »
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [NSFW] Samus

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:12:12 am
Perspective is a bit boring.
Maybe attempt some stronger perspective and foreshortening?
She kinda looks like she's just chillin with a weird look on her face.
Tentacles don't rly seem to be grasping or doing anything interesting either, they're just kinda there like they're hanging out

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:56 am
I agree with Decroded on all points here.

I would imagine proper perspective to look really cool in this case, however it will also be really difficult to create the traditional way. Do you have some experience with a 3D modelling application? If so I would suggest creating yourself some sort of perspective reference with it.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 04:30:55 am
All excellent points! Regarding perspective though, I forgot to mention I was going for a dakimakura aesthetic, so the perspective is sort of a necessary evil here. Even if I were to change it, I'm sort of short on time to rehaul the piece from square one, so I'm just going to try making this work. Sorry if that seems stubborn, I promise I'm not trying to blow you guys off. D:

So, stuff I did:
-re-worked a few tentacles, tried to make them interact with her more
-tightened up palette a bit
-detailed bodysuit
-added reflections to metal/latex

I know the face is still super derpy, and there's issues with her right elbow and right thigh. Besides those, next I'm going to finish refining the leg armor.

Actually super proud of how the latex came out, though I'm sure more experienced folks can see tons of problems that I can't. Fire away! :)

update:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:09:47 am by Regulus Awesome »
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 10:16:59 am

Some thoughts.
No time for text.
 :blind:
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 06:01:06 pm
Same as PixelPiledriver; some thoughts, but no time to explain it all.
Didn't really bother with the colours too much, but to me he ground colour should be differentiated a bit from the purple tentacles.

Main problem I see that causes flatness is the lack of shadows and definitive lighting source (in my edit I decided to use upper front based on the tentacles).

Hope this gives you some ideas.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 04:41:20 am
Some thoughts.
No time for text.
 :blind:

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Ahhh, thanks for the edits, guys! I'm still absorbing a lot of the details, so I haven't gotten around to fixing absolutely everything. Here's where I am after today:

Stuff I did:
-added colored reflections
-various shading fixes. Tried to imply front/forward light more explicitly
-messed with the hair a bit
-started adding detail to tentacle in lower right. not sure if I'll go that direction.
-added background(?)

I'll admit the BG was a last minute attempt to make it less empty. I'll probably go back to the drawing board on that one. Re: background/tentacle contrast, I was intending for the tentacles to not pop too much so they won't take away from Samus. If I can't make this work I'm not opposed to switching things up later, though.

As for the face, both edits gave me some ideas, but aren't really what I'm pursuing stylistically. Beginning to think I won't be able to make the profile view work. :U

So, next to do list:
-address hand edits
-keep fixing face
-figure out the friggin' background
-properly shade the red bits

update:

Still playing around with the background, still no idea what I'm doing. Decided against "textured" tentacles, at any rate- the details were drawing too much focus away from Samus.

Starting to feel like I'm spinning my wheels on this one and going nowhere. Once I fix up the red armor and her face a bit more, I think I may have to call it done.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:38:30 am by Regulus Awesome »
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 11:14:03 am
Just quickly...
Head looks too small.
Legs are a bit awkward.
Tentacles aren't constraining her enough. I think the one on her thigh should be coming from behind and wrapping around the leg to make it more confronting.
Too much contrast on camel toe - if u gotta do it at least make it less obvious so u see it later, not immediately.
Gold arm looks too small.
Breast tentacle looks initially like part of the breast making her chest look unbalanced so why not have it come up from around the waist reaching toward the breast so it's more confronting?
Background could be simply much darker with tentacles in only partial light, and some creepy single eyes peering out?
Tentacles don't look wet enough either lol.

EDIT: Just found this old mockup I abandoned long ago which kinda shows what I mean about background of selectively highlighted glistening tentacles receding into darkness.

So yeah just an idea.

Another idea is a sort of dark coral-textured organic formation with holes in it where all the tentacles come out of.

So many options really and so many interesting lighting opportunities! :crazy:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:26:42 pm by Decroded »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 05:18:06 am
Thanks for the crits, Decroded! Tried to address everything here.

Stuff I did:
-lengthened arm
-slightly enlarged face
-background stuff! Hopefully approaching the end of that
-reduced contrast on camel toe a bit :U

As far as the tentacle positions, I didn't really want them to be that constraining. This scene is basically right before the "action" starts- or at least that's how I'm hoping it reads. I did try to reposition the breast tentacle, but in order to have it lifting the breast the way it is, I couldn't find another suitable angle. Hopefully the extension of that tentacle in the BG makes it a bit more immediately clear?

Tentacles don't look wet enough either lol.

I wanted to avoid the slimy tentacle look, since her suit and her armor are already super shiny. Didn't want to overload the scene with the same texture- I have a hard enough time making the materials stand out from each other as it is. :U

Do you guys think the red armor bits look okay as-is? The shape is deceivingly complex. It just doesn't seem to read as metal, but I'm not sure it's worth spending much more time making it look "perfect."

update:

-changed canvas size. Planning on printing this and realized my aspect ratio was off.
-more tentacle details
-messed with face a bit

Still not too keen on the red parts, but I think they look a bit less awful now that they're not right at the edge, for some reason.

update 2:

Nearly done. Hair is hard. :U
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:02:45 pm by Regulus Awesome »
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 03:18:01 am
Sorry for the double post, but I figure it's been long enough for an actual bump.

I'm willing to call this done now, unless there's any last minute crits. Thanks for the help everyone!

now hopefully it'll print without screwing up all the colors. Suppose that's what I get for forgetting to start in CMYK...
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome