AuthorTopic: Hoodie Mage  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Hoodie Mage

on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:21 pm
I'm working on a concept for a game where modern kids find themselves in a fantasy style world. The first character I'm trying out is a mage. I want to start animating him, but I don't feel super confident about the basic pose I have:

I'm mainly not happy yet with the shading. The shading needs to stay simple like this, so mainly two-tone shading. I could probably integrate the palette and go for more complex shading, but that's not my goal for this. It should be a bit reminiscent of comic books, hence the pure black and separated ramps.

Edit: this is better, pretty happy with this
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:02:58 pm by Gil »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Hoodie Mage

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:26:31 am
Feels like feet a bit too far apart.
The front arm is in a weird position kind of like spiderman shooting web, but you'd think he would shoot projectiles from the staff right?
Maybe drop the shoulder a tiny bit and have arm kind of dropped and forward and rotate the wrist to maybe an open hand or fist and different rotation.
The rear arm looks like u could drop the elbow and bring towards the body a bit to foreshorten the bicep, and pronounce the shoulder a bit more to the left.

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:26:07 am
woah! this looks a lot like my old style. wish I could show you but I'm afraid to turn on my main computer.

anyways, the pose seems fine except for that arm that decoded mentioned.

Here is a very haste edit, and a to-the-point explanation.  (3 AM sorry)

1.)- Comic book shading is made with outlines first then color, hence the thick. very defining black lines.

2.)- Marvel taught me that a pose should be as exaggerated as possible.

http://classes.soe.ucsc.edu/cmps025/Spring11/Draw-Comics-The-Marvel-Way.pdf - pdf link (PAGE: 40)

the guy who regrets this post as he types it
     - NowvaB

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 08:40:01 am
I think feet that wide is good if u bend the knees a bit more.
Otherwise looks like his feet will just slip out from under him

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:55:14 am
The pose lacks 2 main thing:

-upper body length/lower body length - torso is to long while the legs are to short (in fact the legs are about as long as the arms in the first version of the sprite)
-depth positioning/foreshortening - the position of the staff end next to the foot is awkward, NowvaB's edit looks a lot better in this aspect, however depending if you want to have a more offensive or a more defensive character, I'd also consider to change the staff and casting hand.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 03:05:45 pm
Took everyone's suggestions in mind.

Some explanations: this world does not feature actual magic, the staff is a broom-stick + light and the game will feature a bunch of pyrotechnics, like lighter+deodorant, fire breathing with vodka bottles, molotov cocktails and a flame thrower.

The closest leg is actually foreshortened (bent towards the camera), he doesn't have stumpy legs (though the torso was too long, I fixed that).

EDIT: pretty happy with this:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:54:09 pm by Gil »

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 09:31:06 pm
I just wanted to say that that is an awesome idea for a game! Really looking forward to it. :) The sprite looks good to me! Wish you luck with your project!

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 02:09:19 pm
Any progress? This is still a thing right?

I was kinda curious to see where it was going. :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 07:21:48 pm
Oh it's still a thing yes. Next step is animation. But uh... stuff happened, secret santa, holidays, music, etc. I'll get started again soon-ish.