AuthorTopic: My first serious attempt at pixel art :)  (Read 3643 times)

Offline pploco1996

• View Profile

My first serious attempt at pixel art :)

on: December 07, 2014, 03:56:43 am
Hi everyone. Quick intro: My name is Pedro and I'm trying to get in the indie game development world.

This is what I was able to do after a few iterations.

I'm open to any kind of critics. Hope you can help me improve my work.

I'm using Gimp.

It's a zombie... in case you couldn't figure :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:58:11 pm by pploco1996 »

Offline Alexanator28

• View Profile

Re: My first serious attempt at pixel art :)

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:22:14 am
I feel before anyone can make a good edit or critique on your zombie, you are going to have to get rid of the black likes that are separating each pixel. Also it seems like you have many unnecessary shades of the skin colour and the pants, but that may be because the lines make it difficult to see.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:39:54 am
Hi everyone. Quick intro: My name is Pedro and I'm trying to get in the indie game development world.

This is what I was able to do after a few iterations.

I'm open to any kind of critics. Hope you can help me improve my work.

I'm using Gimp.

It's a zombie... in case you couldn't figure :)
What the..??  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please post at 1:1 scale without all the funky grid and stuff.

Register for imgur.com.
For static image like this simply copy and paste from ur software and it will do create the file and links - this means u dont need to waste previous time saving and uploading.
For animated gifs (or any existing files) simply drag and drop the file and it will upload for u.

Offline pploco1996

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 01:59:52 pm
Ok people I changed the image made it smaller and made a desaturated version. Any tips or advice?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:13:45 am
I'm on my phone so I'm not too sure but that doesn't look like 1:1 scale.
Are u zooming in to draw at 1:1 or are u using a brush size bigger than 1 pixel and trying to line them up??
Maybe at this point u better upload ur actual gimp file so we can see clearly how ur working.
There are other issues here but it's pointless to address until u have a correct work flow.

Offline TJNihil

• View Profile
    • My deviantArt

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 02:59:26 pm
As Decroded said, there seems to be some fundamental issues with the way you're creating this; irregular line thickness suggests you're using tools in ways that take away from the preciseness necessary for pixel art. This should be corrected before you proceed, but I will leave you with some other points to consider:

• Profiles/side views are very awkward. A 3/4 angle or dynamic pose will look better in general. Zombies are almost by definition rigid, but I think you can manage something.
  • Keep in mind that not every part needs to be outlined completely, or sometimes even at all. Eyes often look better without an outline on the lower portion. A completely outlined eye starts to look a bit like glasses.
  • Horizontal and vertical lines should be kept to a minimum, if not outright eliminated. You want to break up straight lines or at least make them diagonal. Because zombies are generally stiff, it might make sense to use stiff lines, but I think you'll have more success if you shift the angle your zombie is positioned at and use diagonals. Even if you're going for a blocky style, the effect is better achieved using some diagonals.
  • This ties into the last point but I'd suggest breaking up the silhouette more; again, too many straight lines; even if they were diagonal it might look too stiff, even for a zombie.
  • The ear is formless. It's probably not even necessary to render it, but if you want to, you should define its shape more clearly.
Keep at it! PIXEL YOUR WAY TO THE HEAVENS AND TEAR THEM APART!
I post regular pixel art characters on my dA.

Offline pploco1996

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:46:46 am
Thank you!!!

I actually want to make it 3/4 but I just can't pull off the effect :(

Offline TJNihil

• View Profile
    • My deviantArt

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:28:39 am
Well the blocky style you've got here makes it a great place to start learning.

Source: http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/isometric_pixelart_tutorial_the_two_types.php

• Start by drawing up a cube like above; even for more rounded designs, the cube is a good clean way to begin to understand form (shape in 3 dimensions).
  • Be aware of your line thickness and keep it uniform; most sprites use 1 pixel thickness for outlines, which is a good, simple way to start.
  • Once you've got your cube, add the facial features and line them up using the diagonal edges of your cube as a guide.
Keep in mind, this will achieve a very simple isometric view that serves as a starting point on the long, thorny, winding path of pixel art. The head seems to be a big focus on this part so I figured it'd be best to start you off there. If you can get the 3/4 view down using the above guidelines, I'd suggest continuing and seeing if you can fill the rest in yourself.

And post your work! Even if it's terrible, it's much easier to give directed advice if we see what you see. It also informs everyone here as to how you might be working and if there are any more fundamental issues to help you out with.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:30:51 am by TJNihil »
I post regular pixel art characters on my dA.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 05:24:06 am
Thank you!!!

I actually want to make it 3/4 but I just can't pull off the effect :(
We can't help you until you are actually working in pixel art.
Please upload your Gimp working file so we can help because it looks like you're doing it all wrong.