AuthorTopic: What is the best to work in 15bits ¿?  (Read 11135 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: What is the best to work in 15bits ¿?

Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 03:01:49 pm
Please, kill me if I'm wrong but I think you can define hotkeys in Pro Motion too.

oh wow you can...i didnt see that tab before.  well thats just another point for pro motion :D
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 04:45:37 pm
Is pro-motion available for mac - everyone says how good it is and i would like to try it - otherwise im stuck with photoshop.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 05:13:16 pm
Is pro-motion available for mac - everyone says how good it is and i would like to try it - otherwise im stuck with photoshop.

No
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 09:18:09 pm
...im sticking with IDraw for my pixelwork.

Sorry for being way off topic, but: I love you now, Adarias :D. IDraw is, indeed, sex.

Slightly more to the point, is there any particularly good argument for switching to PROmotion? I know many of the best around here use it, and as such I'm a bit curious. Current;y, I use IDraw, which has a number of features that make it very comfortable to use, but if promotion would offer any significant benefits, I'd be more than willing to go for it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 09:36:57 am
If you just download it and try it a bit you won't realize the full extent of the benefits. It requires actually learning the program pretty well before it hits you that this is a program made specifically for pixel art and thusly pretty much has all the features you'll be likely to need. Ptoing works it much better than me and it's very often that I go 'gee, I wish promo could do this' and he replies '...it does already, foo!'

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 10:30:49 am
hehe.

But yeh, I can agree with Helm, when I first started using it in 2004 (I was using psp6 for pixels at that point), I was like wtf, this is weird, but i could see it had some nice features so I gave it a serious try and after a while it really grew on me. The [ ] to cycle through colours, easy changing of palettes where you instantly see how the new colour looks in realtime while you move sliders, ditherbrushes, it's animation features, the possibility of setting the bitdepth, effective grid and lockgrid settings, customizable shortcuts and much much more. I am using it for almost 2 years not almost every day and I think i can say I more or less know everything it can do (including knowledge of all important shortcuts). It definately makes you way way way faster. I would say the overall speed of pixelling with PM for me increased by about 5 times. And version 6 will definately make it even better :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 10:18:29 am
Trust us...

Pro-motion is THE tool for low color pixel work...
Photoshop is THE tool for high end pixel work...

Doing low color work in Phostoshop is just wrong. - likewise - doing high color work in Promotion is WRONG (neigh impossible as it doesn't support it) - even if Jan (zimmerman) does get around to incorporating high bit ratios into promotion I doubt it'll better the potential of P'shop.

Based on DPaint - (THE tool of the 80's/90's) - speak to ANY old skool pixel artist like myself and they will sing it's praises - I jumped onto the Promotion Band wagon back in late '97/early '98 - and every iteration since then it's improved... it's the tool that's propped up the GBA art creation industry in the UK/Europe/US since it was released...

As far as the other pixel tools that you guys seem to like...
Paint Shop Pro is lame.
Graphics Gale has it's plus points but isn't a patch on Promotion
And MS PAINT!!! JEEZ!!! I can't begin to say how utterly dogshit that is as a pixel package...

Dunno about Idraw - never seen it... but I doubt it's as good as you say.

Ta
:)

That's all you need to know...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 06:52:09 pm
Dunno about Idraw - never seen it... but I doubt it's as good as you say.
Yes, your doubts are affirmative. I used to use it for RPG Maker sprites, and it has some nice features, but it's pretty much between MSPaint and GGale.