AuthorTopic: Need opinions on game background. C+C  (Read 6680 times)

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Re: Need opinions on game background. C+C

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 05:48:17 pm
Ok, so I improved a little more. But anyways, this is where im staying at now. Im kinda happy with the way the level looks. And when playing you can understand where you can go, where you can't and you can clearly see everything etc. Also the monsters in the previous gifs, were from other level, I just put them in for testing. This level will have different ones, something like in this gif.
Also, I don't really have the skills to make it so good, im trying, but it sometimes turns out weird. I have to study all this art stuff more to produce stuff like Decroded posted. Anyways this is the best I could do. Im sure, that by the end of the game I'll have improved my art skills, and then I will be able to improve this level further. Like for example, the previous level looks way worse, im learning stuff constantly. A few more zones, and I'll improve the previous ones. :)

So here's the new gif.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 02:29:12 am
Your game looks cool. Would play  :y:
You've got good hazy atmospheric perspective in your latest version.

I don't think u should copy that "painterly" style  (ie lazy sketching with no real pixel level control) as it obviously doesn't match yours.
But I would invite u to take a closer look at the value of colours especially in the foreground and how they help established a visual hierarchy as others have mentioned.
Basically, you can easily tweak the edges of your solids to make them stand out better.

EDIT: I see you've fixed the confusion about the edges of your solids  :y:
Here's an illustration anyway for the hell of it  :lol:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:11:26 am by Decroded »

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 09:35:28 am
Hey, thanks a lot. :)

I will definitely try to improve the visual hierarchy some day. Im reading on color theory and stuff quite a lot lately.
And yeah, I kinda fixed the edges of the solids. :D :)