AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] New to pixelart, doing some sprites for a game  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Janeator

• View Profile
Hello! First day and first post in this forum, because it seemed a nice place where to seek help and feedback about the small stuff I do :)

So me and a friend we've decided to start a game from scratch (he programs) and I'll be the one drawing the sprites and all art stuff. We're doing a class-based futuristic 2d platformer arena, so I've decided to go for a relatively simple style for the sprites, aka I'm not using too many colors and every clor section has only 1 shading color. Now, here's the characters I got so far; please comment! Any feedback is appreciated, specially constructive:

The robot's head (yellow guy) might be hard to see because of the page background.

I also need some inspiration with the backgrounds... I've just started drawing the first map and I already feel like I'm terrible at backgrounds. The style we're going for is black walls and BG only where you can move, like other games do. Here's why I got so far... I clearly need some ideas or teaching:
(Note that the game will probably be displayed with some method that makes pixels be represented by 4 screen pixels, so it looks more pixelated)

EDIT: Despite this post (http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=5624.0) I posted the augmented sprites, because the zoom feature just makes them blurry.

EDIT: Thanks for the extension/script! Removing zoomed models.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:40:26 pm by Janeator »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] New to pixelart, doing some sprites for a game

Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:54:06 am
I use Firefox to avoid blurring.
Ur designs seem pretty good though I'd avoid using that much black in characters.
U can use desaturated hues to imply black and give a nicer look.
And I don't think making three outfit of every character black does u any favors in terms interesting character design and and uniqueness (which actually affects gameplay).
It's good that u have some degree of variation in the silhouette of each character but most games would have more varied body shapes.

Offline Janeator

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 11:17:12 am
Thanks for the feedback, I'll take it in account because I still want to do even more characters.

About the browser... well I'm not going to install Firefox just for this, but thanks for pointing it out.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:13:29 pm
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16963.0  <= Blurry zoom fix for chrome, assuming you use chrome.

Offline Janeator

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 05:11:09 pm
Thanks! Works perfectly.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:36:50 pm
Unfortunately, animations are broken in the latest versions of Chrome, not sure if I can fix that, I'll try...

Offline Janeator

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:55:06 pm
Sorry about missing images.. I've been using feedback from various sources to try to get cooler sprites, but they're not uploaded yet. And I removed the others. Hope to update soon!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 10:48:21 pm
Www.imgur.com  :y: