AuthorTopic: Animated Portrait  (Read 9911 times)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Animated Portrait

Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 07:22:24 pm
I can't see the issue with the middle ones eyes tbh

I'm afraid I can't be very helpful. I'll just say that they almost look good at 1x, but the more I zoom in, the less sense I can make of the pixel choices. At 1x the only issue is the bright pixels look cut off in 2 clusters per eye, which zooming confirms, and the surrounding dark clusters get pretty smooth / over-AAed with no apparent structural reason (that I can think of). I'd have expected the bright clusters to be AAed more (by 'clusters' I don't mean strict monochrome clusters, just broad regions of related pixels).
Part of the problem may result from keeping some dark outline, esp. in the inside of her right eye.

I wish I could be more specific and offer solutions, but unfortunately the very few times I tried to pixel eyes I failed miserably.
The only general advice I'd give is to get rid of as much outlines as you can at these small scales, contrary to your usual work. The littler one is an example of this: the arms are all banded outline.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 01:59:45 am
heres an edit for the eyes:

basically detail reduction and AA

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 02:29:42 am
@the discussion

I skimmed through some of those posts and totally agree with you guys about the plagiarizing thing but you guys sort of make it seem like there is a faction of people who refuse to allow pixels placed in the same place, when I think its more that everyone sort of agrees that there are only so many things to do so its almost logical to say that "plagiarizing" in pixel art isn't inherently bad. Its just that everyone has a different threshold to what is and isn't acceptable. Also its just sort of easier to say to not copy edits outright rather then to line up a whole list of when it is and isn't okay to use someones edits. Obviously less experienced people should be encouraged to do their own work and whatever but with more refined work there really is only so much you can do to remain in a stylistically similar mode. I think its sort of just easier to say don't copy but nobody will really call you out if you have an idea of what you are doing.

I'm not sure what exactly I'm trying to say but those are some of my ideas on the subject

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 03:19:03 am
Being extremely new this is something I struggle with greatly. There have been cases where I really didn't apply an edit because either nothing looked better, or I lacked the skills to fully utilize the edit. I really hate asking for help and not really being able to apply everything. Especially when great effort was put into an edit.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 10:49:05 pm
but you guys sort of make it seem like there is a faction of people who refuse to allow pixels placed in the same place
No that's not what I'm getting at.
You're right there isn't a group of people to point fingers at.

This is what I'm concerned with:
I could change it but it would kind of be an arbitrary change made more for the sake of not copying then learning or progressing the picture. So I'm kind of left with the choice to either copy the work exactly as it is and feel like i'm ripping, copy the work with arbitrary changes and possibly intentionally work at a lower quality then the edit, or ignore it and apply the information on another picture in the future. None of those feel like optimal choices exactly.
and thanks for soothing my silly worries everyone.
This is all an internal struggle.
Artists do this a lot, even me.

We take very small bits of quotes, interactions, preconceptions, ideas of courtesy, etc.
And then spool it into a sort of logical grind that somehow just stops us from drawing.
Instead of a creativity block, it's more like a made up moral dilemma.
Whether it has any sort of artistic value or not.
It can be very mentally crippling.

To me that's a huge problem.
Because it's not real and a lot of times completely unimportant, even tho it seems to be.
If we create reasons not to move forward with art, especially ones that don't really matter, it's just a huge waste of potential.

I think if you look around Pixelation, or pretty much anywhere, you'll find these sort of feelings to be rampant.
And they are not caused by people enforcing them, just like you said.
They are created internally by the artist.

I'm not sure what exactly I'm trying to say but those are some of my ideas on the subject
It's cool, thanks for weighing in.  :)
I am also just rambling a bit.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 12:29:21 am
If we create reasons not to move forward with art, especially ones that don't really matter, it's just a huge waste of potential.
^My life!  :'(

Mind if I quote u on that?

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 02:55:44 am
^My life!  :'(
No worries.
Mine too.
That's why I bring it up.
It's something that I struggle with constantly.

Mind if I quote u on that?
:lol:
If you find it to be a useful thought, then sure.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1