AuthorTopic: PoP fangame sprites - Example  (Read 10754 times)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

PoP fangame sprites - Example

on: August 11, 2006, 03:12:02 am
I would like to add that I am only colouring these and that the poses are made by Ankh.  This animation is for picking up light objects. 

Here is a slower version for easier viewing.

4 frames, and 10 colours
C+C appreciated. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: PoP fangame sprites - Example

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:27:23 am
I would like him to look down and watch exactly what he's picking up.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:36:53 am
Why not do the sprites in POP1 style? Lots of frames, few colors looked a lot better than the sprites in prince of persia 2. Even though the engine is for prince of
persia sands of time, I reckon POP1 way is better.

I think in the third frame his arms look too big. Maybe you could make a bigger contrast between colors (go to a darker pink).
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:44:10 pm
I think its nearly impossible to make a good fangame of a series that revolutionized game animation.  My suggestion to you would be to get the as many of the original frames as you can and use them for reference, changing, adding, and subtracting frames where necessary.  also, what happened to his nerdy bowl-cut? :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:47:29 pm
I think you should probably scrap these.  Work on a good 1-frame portrait of the character first, and once you think you have something that reflects his character well start doing skeletons and simple line art of the various animations.

Adarias has a good point too - this is NOT a trivial task; PoP:SoT still has the most complete, fluid animation of any video game ever made; and they had the advantage of skeletal animation, allowing them to utilize physics, particles, IK, blending...a LOT of stuff that is inherently lacking in traditional sprite art (though a clever multi-sprite character might pull off some of it, but its hard to make that character not look like a doll without using vectors and solid colors as sharprm posted).

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:09:48 pm
I think you should probably scrap these.  Work on a good 1-frame portrait of the character first, and once you think you have something that reflects his character well start doing skeletons and simple line art of the various animations.

Adarias has a good point too - this is NOT a trivial task; PoP:SoT still has the most complete, fluid animation of any video game ever made; and they had the advantage of skeletal animation, allowing them to utilize physics, particles, IK, blending...a LOT of stuff that is inherently lacking in traditional sprite art (though a clever multi-sprite character might pull off some of it, but its hard to make that character not look like a doll without using vectors and solid colors as sharprm posted).

I am pretty sure Adarias meant the original PoP game. That had/has really good animations for it's time. Yay rotoscoping.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 04:21:53 pm
yeah you're probably right - i assumed SoT because of the blue pants and no shirt and "bowl cut" comment but it looks like it may just be regular PoP!  My apologies :)  I still have PoP and PoP2 on 3.5" floppy at home...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:54:34 pm
yeah sorry theres a bit of confusion; my suggestion is to study the original rotoscope-based frames, and work from them to create a 2d SoT Prince.  the bowl-cut business is just half-joking about the baldness of the sprite Sohashu posted.

to stay relly true to the series, you could even take a video on a digital camera of yourself doing the new actions like the famous wall stepping.  its not as hard as it looks to go a short way, especially if you can find a nice rough but simple surface like a brick wall to run on, and you only need enough frames to make a good loop.  do it outside where you have a lot of room, if you can, since you need room to really get a running start
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 05:58:06 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 08:37:08 pm
now we all know that in adarias's spare time, he practices wall stepping.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 12:30:45 am
OK.  "bowl cut" is coming once I finish.  Also,there is a more detailed sheet coming.   It is smoother and such, as well as bigger.  My main question is about the shading.  What do you think?
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.