AuthorTopic: Ze News  (Read 7403 times)

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Re: Ze News

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 01:17:09 pm
Its looks a bit gradient, and I would use abot 5 in a face. or 4 :P.

Ptoing it did sound harsh but I know what you meen.

But I believe I think because Im 12 I suck at drawing :P Im actaully pretty good but pixeling is a challenge at times. I never complete anything because I have been crited in dry mean ways. At Pixelopolis you guys are a little dry at times but at the moment its for my best interest and I haven't realised. I will take your advise and I hope I can improve and blow you away with something GREAT :). Thanks! Time to start sketching :D.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 01:47:47 pm
That's because you never really show anything worth critiqueing except a very small head and a sketch body.

And Yosh was right, you really only need 3 shades of skin tone to colour that small of a head, but you denied his critique.

Give them more to critique and they will, and Helm's advice was spot on. You need to know more about anatomy and fundamentals for pixel art than you do for canvas art because there is a lot less room for error.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 01:53:12 pm
I never complete anything because I have been crited in dry mean ways.

Don't blame other people for your unfinished work. It's your choice to finish or not -- many of the "dry mean crits" have been *encouraging* you to finish a picture.

I will take your advise and I hope I can improve

You can =) I am pleased that you haven't left in frustration even though the crits sting -- so many people do shut their ears and run away. Bear in mind we're not criticizing you, we're critiquing your art.

Truly I believe that your greatest problem is that when you start a piece, you want to get it over with fast so you can show it off. That's why I have been telling you to finish a piece *completely*, and consider each part of it carefully (don't rush the skeleton to get to the coloring, you'll end up with bad anatomy...don't rush the coloring to get to the shading, you'll end up with bad colors and shapes...etc). There really isn't any aspect that you can gloss over, especially when you're learning (at least this has been my experience -- I still haven't gotten to the point where I can dash off something that looks decent without thinking about it...but that might just be because I'm a poor artist, and a picky one).

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 02:14:02 pm
hope this helps rerg, click on the image to zoom in..

(bad legs  :-[)

may not be the best example, as im still quite new to workin small but I think it'd help you if you work on the general structure of the character first and use all the colours to your advantage, what you're doing atm is planning out a wireframe character to help you judge the anatomy and drawing a part of the body one by one, I actually think it helps to be constantly changing everything, zooming in and out on every pixel placement to judge what you need to do to it.

oh and avoid using outlined characters at that size because it limits the detail you can add, unless your making a sprite that is.

http://www.cvrpg.com/Images/sprites/Sprites-Link.gif

well erm, hope I kinda helped..
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 02:47:07 pm
 Just 3 colors for skin tones are enough. Dusty is correct with that. Make well contrasted sprites with hue variation. Yellowish for lighter shades and blueish for darker shades. That'll help him out.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 03:49:22 pm
Thanks Ter!

I dont really know what hue is and well saturation and stuff :P I use paint and I have no clue how to do that on PhotoShop.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 04:20:15 pm
i think that you really need to cahnge your wireframe.  heres the one that ive come up with a while ago for my own use; or something similar (i change it all the time but this is the basic construction), and its not the most accurate but its much more servicible than what you are using

the most important thing here is the  four diamonds (badly drawn in mine, they should be roughly equal, highlighted on the right).  if its unclear, heres the locations written out:

1st diamond top point: inside the mouth, right where the throat begins
1st diamond top sides can be used to form the trapezius, which does stuff like hold up the head

1st diamond middle points: hollow where the pectorals meet the deltiod, just under the collarbone.  poke yourself to find exactly where it is on you, youll know when you find it (its a wicked pressure point)
2nd diamond top point: the pit where the collarbones meet. dont poke around to find it you can gag
the 3 points here connect to create the shoulder line in the central figure.  this line is _incredibly_ important

2nd diamond middle points: nipples.
1st diamond bottom point: lower part of the sternum, just above the solar plexus.

3rd diamond middle points: ribs terminate
2nd diamond bottom point: belly button.  in real life, this is actually a couple inches too high, the belly button fits best in the center of the smaller diamond just below this point

4th diamond central points: that point on your pelvis that sticks out on hot girls and boys
3rd diamond bottom point: this point had really little or no value, middle of last pair of abs
these points connect to crreate the pelvis line, equal in imporatnce to the shoulder line to balance.

4th diamond bottom point: the most important point for obvious reasons

hope this helps a little, ideally you should develope your own way of working, but you also need to come up with something that works, and your current setup lacks quite a lot for good positioning and anatomy

PS: terly you cut the arms short on your edit.  not to pick on you but this is a common mistake.  hands should fall in the middle of the upper leg, not starting at the belt line like yours are here
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 02:59:03 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 04:34:54 pm
Wow thanks Adrias. I did a quick paint doodle before studing using same colours :P.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 04:48:21 pm
PS: terly you cut the arms short on your edit.  not to pick on you but this is a common mistake.  hands should fall in the middle of the upper leg, not starting at the belt line like yours are here

yeah well I knew it was wrong  :-[,  I built the character on the proportions he'd marked out..

I tried to make the point that he doesn't have to use an outline, I wasn't planning on ripping into his character, just wanted to illustrate my point with what he had achieved. :-X

I'll leave the anatomy tips to those who can illustrate it well, words can only go so far.

thanks for the tip anyway.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 04:51:39 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 05:44:56 pm
yeah well I knew it was wrong  :-[,  I built the character on the proportions he'd marked out..

actually, not quite, lol, his arm is longer in the wireframe, about 3 pixels when all is said and done.  i dont actually care that much, but it is worth pointing out that he got the length of the right arm almost perfect.  his left arm is a bit shorter, but not by as much as yours.  just something to watch out for when editing; theres no need to create more mistakes in a piece than are already there
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.